Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association

Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday January 27th 2016

In attendance were 65 residents and 11 committee members.  Councillors present Judy Kelly, Michael White and Allan Kauffman.

Apologies were received from: Cllrs Jem Duducu, Teji Barnes, Eddie Lavery.  Colin Hook, Hazel Hook,Geoff Quantock, Frances Jones and Iris Ellis

SRRA Queuing for Tea at the break
SRRA Queuing for Tea at the break

1.0          Opening Remarks & Welcome & Matters Arising from the Minutes & Signed Minutes.

2.0               Henry Neal – Representative of Lidl

Henry Neal (centre) talking to South Ruislip Residents
Henry Neal (centre) talking to South Ruislip Residents

Henry Neal (centre) talking to South Ruislip Residents

Henry gave thanks to the community for support for the application for the Lidl site on Victoria Road, on the site of the Rover building.  Given it took a long a time to get, during the time Lidl bought an additional piece of land which they will use to expand the store.  An extra 400 metres square of retail space and it will give a different entrance for the delivery to the back of the store.

In response to questions:

What will happen to the Benson Beds and the Comet site?

Comet will be built on.  Benson’s to remain.  Expecting a decision next month on whether the expanded development will be approved. 

When will people be able to shop there?

Start on site next month with demolition. Looking to open the shop by this Christmas.

Expecting any planning issues this time?

The two main issues last time were both highways issues.  Firstly the number of car parking spaces and secondly delivery vehicles having to reverse passed the entrance.  Feel that they can open the site and add more spaces and move delivery vehicles to the rear of the site makes for a strong case.  But nothing settled until planning permission granted.

How will vehicles be leaving?

Delivery lorries via Stonefield Way.  People parking at Lidl go onto Victoria Road via Stonefield quick exit.  Stonefield Way will allow cars both direction to accommodate ease of exit for vehicles.

What happens if planning refused?

Committed to this development rather than the original so if face issues with the council will push ahead with it.   

How will the Stonefield Way entrance work?

There will be a barrier there, a raised table to give equal rights to pedestrians.  Undulating to keep cars to one side (like Vine Lane, Uxbridge?).

What happens to Benson’s for Beds?

They will be a tenant of Lidl, will suffer some short term inconvenience but longer term hoped they will generate more custom from increased footfall. 

Worried about competition from four supermarkets in the area as will be?


For more information go to http://lidlsouthruislip.co.uk/

3.0        Police Rob Bryan Inspector for North of the Borough

Inspector Rob Bryan
Inspector Rob Bryan

Keen to work with community members to help catch speeders in the area.  Running joint speed traps.  If you are interested email CommunityRoadwatch@tfl.gov.uk or see the community Roadwatch scheme online at www.met.police.uk/teams/transportnw/hillingdon for details.

Recent tests under ‘Operation Willow’ picked up 6 speeding vehicles, 1 vehicle seized and 1 arrest made.

Some changes of personnel on the ward however officers are increasing from 24 to 29 in the North of the Borough.

Police pleased with the joint initiative with RAF Police, with plain clothes work and anti-burglary.

Also worked on initiatives such as stay safe online at the GAA, Bourne Primary Crocodile Walk and Immigration checks on workers at Bradfield Road.

Question: Any burglaries locally?  One reported by residents at Braintree Road

Burglaries down 50% on last year, but very high last year.  Thieves targeting flat roof access, so secure ladders.  They have kicked in older UPVC doors at the rear,

Older residents.  If you see anything suspicious can call 101.  Three neighbours saw suspicious people but did not call it in and an aggravated burglary took place.  Burglary happened between 10 to 4pm.  Reports of people in yellow jackets looking like ‘workers’.

Free burglar alarms for over 65’s.  There is a waiting list.  Very simple and effective.

4.0        Chief Road Steward

Geoff being ably assisted.
SRRA Chief Road Steward Geoff being ably assisted.

CRS Geoff Taylor has taken over and stated that the SRRA is short of Road Stewards for the following areas:

East Mead, The Fairway, Princes Way, Diamond Road, Jubilee Drive, Palace Road, Royal Crescent, Wingfield Way, Primrose Gardens, West End Road, Bridgewater Road, Exmouth Road, Field Road, Queens Walk and Victoria Road.

If you live near there and are able to help it would be much appreciated.

Geoff requested list of members where we don’t have them.  Road Stewards please complete the census that Colin sent out.  Were we had one of the RS’s on holiday, we didn’t have a list of members.  So one road didn’t get newsletters.  Names and Addresses would be great for members and ideally how much subs normally paid £1 or £2.

The idea of ID tags for Road Stewards and Committee members at the Quarterly meeting discussed.  Broadly welcomed.

Tea break

SRRA Thank you for the Tea - your reward us having your picture taken!
SRRA Thank you for the Tea – your reward is having your picture taken!

5.0          Colin Russell – Head of Waste Services London Borough of Hillingdon

Cllr Michael White talking to Colin Russell
Cllr Michael White talking to Colin Russell

How big is waste in Hillingdon?

We have a weekly service – which is good.  There is commitment for weekly to continue and no wheelie bins.

No intention for charging.  However the council only has your money to spend.

What are the costs and how much is collected?  Black bag of rubbish.  Costs £10.2 million pounds a year to dump and £6m to collect.  47,000 tons in Hillingdon which is one of the highest volumes of waste in London but best in London for recycling.  22,000 tons of recycling.  Volume has increased but weight has not gone up.  Colin attributed that to manufacturers cutting resource costs.

Reasons for rejection of rubbish.  Unsafe food waste in the recycling.  Clean it a little – rinse through with food waste should be enough.

They renegotiate the contracts regularly to get best price but Grundons at Colnbrook takes much waste.

Broadly if in doubt about what to put in recycling put it in.  What causes most concern to Colin? Carrier bags – at the moment they are shipped to China for repurposing but currently being stockpiles.  Prices change for the value of waste.

Black bags cost £126 a ton to get rid of.  Recycling clear bags used to get £4.34 per ton.  Now pay £43 a ton to get rid of.

Food and garden waste 14,000 tons.  Limit 6 bags per property.  Cost £54 per ton.  Food with it gets a better recycled product with the end waste which is why it can be taken.

Financially better to recycle.

Garden Bags. They fly away.  Try to get them back to the right place but on a windy day it can’t be guaranteed.  Looking at possibly a higher weight of base to the bag to reduce this but can’t make them too heavy for the men who collect.

Add your house number and road to reduce change of garden bag going missing.

Nagging issues.  Mattresses.  Hillingdon has more mattresses than other boroughs.  30-40 a days.  Hayes and West Drayton mostly.  Good news is they get recycled.  Washed and used to stuff toys etc.

Picking up rubbish.  Dog waste is expensive.  2 tonnes every week.  Expensive as incinerated.

Fly tipping is an issue.  They tend to try and clear rather than argue about where the problem is but have to push back on private land.

Glass gets recycled.  Waitrose get a better price as split by colour but this would increase collection costs too much to split it.  They will take broken glass.

Bread and vegetable tends to make up the majority of food waste.  Should it be made compulsory?  Colin felt not.  Of the approx.34% who took the food waste kit, 75% still use it.

Any chance of South Ruislip waste centre opening again to the public?  Colin felt it extremely unlikely.  Costs rose from £250k to £415k to £469k to £715k over a relatively short few years making it one of the most expensive sites in London.  It was uneconomic to sustain.

Sid Jackson, Vice Chair SRRA
Sid Jackson, Vice Chair SRRA

6.0             HS2

HS2 still petitions being raised.  Internal audit for HS1 showed a recovery rate of 53% of funds used.  Making it uneconomic, however Sid said, there is a refusal to publish the details until Hybrid Bill goes through council.

7.0             ARLA Site

Work ongoing.  Where there is mud on the road and Sid has complained there has been a sweeper out in a few minutes.  Starting the work on the roads mid-March.  Will take until November to complete the roads.

Bellway Homes application to increase the build by 31 homes.  Corporate greed.  Amended petition to add more parking spaces.

8.0        SKPLC Site

As raised by Cllr Judy Kelly and Sid, please sign the petition for Harvey Road to support further council efforts to curtail invasive and anti-social disturbance by the SKPLC centre and it’s users which badly affects residents of Harvey Road.

9.0        SRYPC South Ruislip Young Person Centre

Cllr Allan Kauffman: The centre has run down.  He has spoken to the new director.  Lack of investment in the centre, however the borough has just employed 30 new youth workers across the borough.  Work orders have been given to repair the front wall and funds available to improve the furniture.  The Cllrs were perturbed to not sound recording equipment available for the centre purchases for £9k still sitting being unused.

They expect changes with the staff and work going into the centre and a full set of programmes to be given.  Up from the two nights a week the centre is currently being used by the youngsters

10.0      Car Dealer in Princes Road

Enforcement order given to Corsa cars to remove vehicles.  Will free about 30 spaces up.

11.0      Land Between Library and the Youth Centre

Likely to be tied up soon.  30 flats to be built – or that is what planning permission has been granted for the site.  Likely to be sold to a developer.

12.0      Parked Cars Field End Road

Just agreed double yellow lines.

13.0      Building Opposite Station: 18 Flat development

Cllr Allan Kauffman stated this site was going to be used to house homeless families to save the borough bed and breakfast costs.   Will be Hillingdon people rather than other authorities people.  Allan was unsure if going to be staff on site – said he would confirm.  Concern expressed but housing a transient population locally and the effects on the area and about the impact on parking in the area.

14.0      Double Yellow on Victoria Road.

Concern express that it’s ‘Becoming a car park’.  Suggestion for parking one side only.  Felt was a difficult issue but parking near the ARLA site is being looked at.

15.0      Clear the drains. 

Concern expressed about surface water on Victoria Road.  The borough do have gulley sweepers running routinely in the area.

Meeting closed 10:03