Category Archives: Quarterly Meetings

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church – Wednesday October 28th 2015

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association

Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On

Wednesday October 28th 2015

In attendance were 62 residents and 10 committee members.  Councillors present Allan Kauffman & Teji Barnes.

Apologies were received from: Cllrs Judy Kelly, Gem Duducu, Michael White and Eddie Lavery.  Lynne Kauffman, Colin Hook, Hazel Hook, Kris Borucka, Geoff Quantock, Mrs Josie McFadden, Mrs Wills

1.0  Opening Remarks & Welcome & Matters Arising from the Minutes & Signed Minutes. 

Amendment to last minutes of 22nd July 2015  From “2.0  ARLA.  Judgement in favour of building the ARLA development and against Sainsburys…”. To “Judgement in favour Sainsburys development….”  [Apologies Secretary]

2.0  Newsletter/ Chief Road Steward

Apologies for the delay in getting the newsletter out.  With Henry moving away, the move, in the end, all happened very early for our Chief Road Steward.  He has worked very hard to do a great job for a number of years and SRRA greatly appreciate it.  With the speed of the handover there were some delays with taking over the system so apologies for any wrong numbers, miss-deliveries etc.

We are looking at a new team for the Chief Road Steward’s role and will update on progress as we go.  Thank you to the committee for pitching in and helping get the newsletters out and especially to Lynne Kauffman for spending a couple of days organising the newsletters to go to

A couple of people have agreed to help, maybe working as a team.

3.0  Police

Sgt Kerr, appealed for email addresses from the audience so that he can keep them informed of local activities.  Follow on Twitter @MPSSouthRuislip. Dispersal notice made in Bradfield Road where a joint operation was held with immigration services.

Local traffic checks with a number of drivers charges for driving at 40+ in a 30mph zone.  5 not wearing seatbelts and a number of other offenses picked up.

They attended the Polish War service.  As well as Knife crime talk at youth club and bike marking at Victoria Road retail park.

Burglary still looking at.  More police in high vis-jackets.  Burglaries are currently approx 50% of last years rate in South Ruislip.

Theft from motor vehicle.  Don’t leave Sat Nav, mobile phone and laptop on display.  Don’t leave Bluetooth on in cars as thieves use to detect items.

Anti Social Behaviour, at the moment mostly from vehicles.  If you see ASB from someone in the vehicle take details and pass to Sgt Kerr.  He will write to offenders and threaten confiscation of the vehicle in future.

Rolling out Smartwater use in South Ruislip.  Free and well worth taking if offered by the police.

From the audience question about advise about cyclists on the pavement and being advised to muzzle the dog walking with it.

Police Ward Panel for South Ruislip.  Looking for ward panel members.  Need a few more people increase the variety of opinions.  Meeting important to discuss what the priorities are.

4.0    Shirley Kirk from Dementia Friends

Discussion from Shirley Kirk discussing the benefits of greater community awareness of issues of dementia.

People as young as thirty have dementia and it’s not a natural part of aging, not inevitable.  It is caused by diseases in the brain.  It’s a set of symptoms.  Not a disease itself.

If the mind is like thousands of fairy lights.  Dementia makes the lights go out, which lights will be individual. Alzheimer’s is a common cause.  It’s progressive.  Worth knowing the type of dementia someone has so have an idea of the course.

Emphasis is on living with dementia not suffering.

More information at https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk/

Shirley happy to run sessions to train Dementia Friends for local groups.

5.0    Smart Water

Presentation from officer Sgt Webber.  One in seven households will get a pack of traceable water, Smart water   This is applied to property and the Met routinely will trace stolen items using UV light and the manufacturers lab assistance.  It is strong evidence to link the robber with the address.

For quantities across the borough they will receive 10k, then another 18k.  Where are the kits?  Pushing kits towards the North of the borough.  Worth taking if offered.  Roads either side of addresses with Smartwater also see reductions.

http://www.smartwater.com/

6.0    Chairman’s Report

6.1    ARLA

Work has started at the site on the commercial side.  Bellway Homes has submitted an increase in housing for the site.  An extra 30+ residences.

As a group we dislike the changes and increase in density.  Have organised a petition to be signed at end of meeting.  Also dislike the low density of parking.

Sid met with managers from Bellway homes and are looking to get rid of overlooked gardens and replace with these with flats.

6.2    Library South Ruislip

Site by the library to be developed for circa 30 flats which will pay for the library and youth centre.  Other sites being looked at by the council for possible development.

6.3    Sainsburys

Discussion with Sainsbury held re tidying up some of area by Station Approach. Meeting with head of PR there.

6.4    LIDL

Plan to develop the Rover Motor Sales room.  There was a planning application, now a road traffic survey entered in.  Two referral points.  Now to be heard at Major applications on 18th November. [Editor: Which as passed]

6.5    HS2

Hybrid bill plodding along.  Committee report stage now.

7.0    Treasurers report

Balance £781.74 and Reserve Account £12,358.25.

8.0    RAF

RAF Open day.  Will be purely RAF families next year.

9.0    Community Voice

The last meeting was held with the chairs of the local Clinical Commissioning Groups.  As the second largest borough in London, Hillingdon, wants to improve service especially with added health with higher birth rates and migrants.  They are keen to improve hospital hubs and have identified 5 possible sites.

http://www.communityvoicehealth.org.uk/

10.0    Doug Lewington Spoke on Biggin Hill

Re Letter to residents associations from Biggin Hill.  Which stated that the RAF’s expansion of civil flights was anti competitive.  Sid Jackson pointed out this had been subject to a judicial review and findings on the RAF Northolt website.  Biggin Hill is a commercial argument which the SRRA does not plan to get involved with.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafnortholt/newsweather/index.cfm?storyid=E33BB804-5056-A318-A81E3A93FA61AF54

11.0    Mrs Nurse

John Clifford sadly announced that Mrs Nurse, an active member of the SRRA including previously  died in tragic circumstances.  Mrs Nurse was taken to Hillingdon Hospital.  Funeral arrangements to be announced.

12.0    Stonefield Park

Children’s play area there is in need of renovation, Elaine made a request for signatures to secure resources from Chrysalis Fund.  Elaine was seeking adventure playground development to make it more suitable for 8-10 years olds.

13.0    Remembrance Service

Parade at the Polish War Memorial 10.30 and finishes at 11.15.  08/11/2015

14.0    Litter Collection

Litter pick 3rd Saturday of the month.  About 15 members taking part.  Starts at the library in South Ruislip.

15.0    Waste Food Caddy

Councillor Allan Kauffman brought in a food caddy to demonstrate it’s use and how fox proof it was.

16.0 Nurses at the Surgery on Thursday in South Ruislip

Discussion re no nurses on Thursday at South Ruislip Doctors.  With no nurses patients with bandages etc needing daily changes have to go to Mount Vernon as Dr’s not providing them.  Noted that the doctors provide the level of care so it their decision rather than NHS as a whole.  If not happy with service could be worth taking up with Primary Care Trust CQC who police the surgery.

17.0    SKLPC Complaints 

Iris Ellis a resident of Harvey Road brought up issue of SKLPC complaints. When festival in place again parking difficult on the S bend.  Very intrusive with music and floodlights.    Thanks to Allan for getting police over and Antoi Social Behaviour sport from the council andpolice but took a long term and Iris was expecting an improvement over last year when numerous discussion with Hillingdon Council had taken place.

Suggested to involve Boris Johnson and visit at a constituency surgery held every fortnight.

Meeting Close at 21:48

Next Quarterly Meeting

With alarming pace the next quarterly SRRA meeting is almost upon us.

Venue: St Mary’s Church, Long Drive, South Ruislip HA4 0RY

Time: 8pm Wednesday 28th October

The church hall is having a new floor laid and so we are going to have the meeting in the church itself for a change.  No teas and coffees at break I am afraid and this will be a one-off change.

The newsletters will be going out shortly.

Our speaker will be from Shirley Kirk from Dementia Friends.

Look forward to seeing you at the meeting!

Minutes of the last SRRA Quarterly Meeting held 22nd July 2015

The minutes are below.  Good meeting!

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association

Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church Hall On Wednesday July 22nd 2015

In attendance were 53 residents and 11 committee members.  Councillors present Eddie Lavery, Allan Kauffman & Judy Kelly.

Apologies were received from: Cllr Jem Duducu, Michael White and Teji Barnes and committee member Francis Jones

1.0  Opening Remarks & Welcome & Matters Arising from the Minutes & Signed Minutes.

 2.0  ARLA

Judgement in favour of building the ARLA development and against Sainsburys.  Sid had asked Sainsbury’s if they will appeal against the judge’s decision.  Said that they wouldn’t.  Development feted to start early September.

3.0  Newsletter in New Format

Thank you for the new format Lynne.

Amendments Stonefield Park, more detail requested on the litter pick, which goes ahead on the 15th August 2015 meeting at 10am starting at South Ruislip Library.

Full Colour newsletters – Prize if you get one!

3.1 Rats / Sainsburys

Pest Control in Sainsbury’s – rats reported, keen to have litter removed.  This has been reported to the council.

4.0  HS2

In agreement with the SRRA, Cllr Allan Kauffman presented at HS2 hearing in London.  As we were only there to discuss mitigation rather than the principle of HS2, main concerns raised over the digging in the ARLA site and the vent shaft, the volume of traffic with 200 lorries a day leaving the site.

Second issue with closing Station Approach, West End Road, Bridgewater Road and Long Drive.  Lynne and Allan counted the businesses there 91 businesses affected then there is the LIDL, B&M, housing, so more of an issue with traffic.

Concern raised that they are planning this as a paper exercise rather than dealing with realities.  Proposing to access with in one place an location which is currently blocked so asked for a review in more detail.

Allan and Sid have received a letter from the Chair of the committee saying that they will take our concerns into consideration.

5.0 Treasurers Report

Current account £620.74 and reserve £12356.70 as at 30th June.

6.0 Chief Road Steward

Letters were late this time.  Thanks for getting them out on time.

Henry moving South, he will be around for a few months.  Looking for a new person to take over as CRS.

7.0 Police

Henry mentioned talk from victim support.  Voluntary organisation, they will come and support you with assistance.  They are looking for premises in the area.

PCSO’s are finished.  No more coming in future.

Sid recounted his frustration with police, after a HGV delivery driver damaged a number of cars and the police didn’t turn up. Discussion of a lady who was burgled and had a slow response.

Suggestion to write to Nick Downing.  General dissatisfaction.  Ask him to come to the next meeting.  People welcome to write to SRRA if they have had issues where they feel the police have not followed up.

Burglary, lack of contact from the police.  Not enough resources for the police.

8.0       Community Voice

Next meeting in September.  Discussion will be on the transfer of care from Hospitals to the community, especially at GP level.

9.0 RAF Northolt

Sid had a meeting with Ops at RAF meeting.  Nothing has changed from before re the discussion on flight path changes or planes flying over the Mahlon Avenue area.

Biggin Hill have said they have taken legal action against RAF/MOD due to more flights at RAF Northolt.  Sid said that this was a commercial action and not something we would like to be involved with.

One gentleman left the meeting.  Sid commented that it was difficult to mediate between two intractable positions, there is little room for mediation.

10.0 South Ruislip Library

Great children’s section.  Members extolled the virtues.  Great service getting in books, quiz.  Much more than just collection point for new recycling bags.  Recycling bags can also be ordered from the council on a standing order basis and they deliver each quarter.

11.0 Lorries

11.1 HGV Access to South Ruislip Estate

Large lorries rumbling around the area an issue.  Seeing more and more on The Fairway and Long Drive.  Look at estate having a 7.5 ton limit, except for access.  Roads – drop Allan a line to have more signs on local streets.  Sign in middle of road for Torcross, too late.

11.2 South Ruislip Bridge

Notices and restrictions.  Three hits on the South Ruislip Bridge recently. What can be done to improve the safety of the access.

Cllr Kauffman suggested the council will look at spending Section 106 and SIL contribution from the ARLA money on the site to improve the bridge so it becomes an asset but there are a number of warning devices and signs up already.  One gentleman commented that his van was detected as being over height but was well under the limit..

12.0 Beautiful South Ruislip

12.1 Chamber of Commerce South Ruislip

Sid apologised to Lynne for not being invited to talk at the last meeting on the subject of   Beautiful South Ruislip. Working on getting members for a chamber of commerce so they can act as a group, especially with the commercial threats from ASDA as well as Sainsburys.

12.2 Rover/MG site, Victoria Road

The site at Rover/MG site is being cleared, concern about rubbish at the site but it’s starting to be cleared.  Lidl going for planning permission for their store.

12.3 Victoria Road, Parking/Red Route

Victoria Road, parking up causing traffic flow issues.  Discussed possible Red line route status for the road.

13.0 Stonefield Park

Elaine Haynes:  Playing area is breaking up, rubber matting will be sorted for the 28th July, would like it renewed altogether though.

14.0 Any Other Business

14.1 South Ruislip Bike Parking

Cycle chain to rail at South Ruislip on the bike.  To be removed.

14.2 Proposed Zebra Crossing on Victoria Road

Refused, no further action.  Suggestion of barriers being put in place to flow people to the crossing.  Cllr Kelly would look at that.

14.3 Long Drive Rubbish

Complaint from residents about rubbish being left out too early and on the wrong days that foxes are opening and spreading.  Cllr Kelly said that she would look into this.  [Added at time writing minutes: Judy wrote to advise that the council leafleted the area informing residents of responsibilities and correct process]

14.4 Bin Collection/Recycling

Dissatisfaction expressed bin collection and spreading of mess.  Also leaving green waste bags in the road.  Tightening up needed.

14.5 Ivory Dental Service Bin

Reminder of request for reason why that was removed made of Cllr Kauffman.

15.0 Meeting Closed

 

October Newsletter

We distSRRA Newsletter Cover Oct 2014ribute the SRRA newsletters ahead of the Quarterly meetings which take place in January, April, July and October each year. Please find at the link below the October 2014 SRRA Newsletter.  Much has moved on as we discussed at the meeting on the 22nd October. Time, tide and South Ruislip wait for no man. October 2014 Newsletter

Please note the next meeting is on the 21st January 2015 not 28th as mentioned in the newsletter.

Next Quarterly Meeting 21st January 2014

In a change to the published date the next quarterly meeting will take place on 21st January 2014,  Normal St Mary’s, Long Drive venue at 8pm.

Whenever the SRRA doesn’t meet the Fourways Womens Club meets at the Hall and they thought we were meeting on the 21st rather than the 28th as originally planned.  As Fourways had booked speakers we were happy to move our date.

Fourways are a longstanding club who celebrated 50 years in operation earlier this year.  More details in this Gazette article.

Back to the SRRA.  If you have any items to submit for consideration at the meeting please send to Honorary Secretary Jeremy Wasden or via the email address at this site.   Best to do this two months in advance for the agenda in the newsletter, but otherwise send us an email at our contact email address.

St Mary's, Long Drive
St Mary’s, Long Drive

Next Quarterly 22nd October 2014

The Road Stewards are getting ready to deliver the newsletters out ahead of the next quarterly meeting  which will be held at St Mary’s Church Hall, The Fairway, South Ruislip, on Wednesday 22nd October starting at 8pm.

There will be updates on local policing, the ARLA site, HS2 and a whole host of local issues.

If you have any items to submit for consideration at the meeting please send to Honorary Secretary Jeremy Wasden or via the email address at this site.   Best to do this two months in advance for the agenda in the newsletter, but otherwise send us an email at our contact email address.

St Mary's, Long Drive
St Mary’s, Long Drive

Next Quarterly Meeting 23rd July 2014

St Mary's, The Fairway
St Mary’s, The Fairway

The Road Stewards are getting ready to deliver the newsletters out ahead of the next quarterly meeting  which will be held at St Mary’s Church Hall, The Fairway, South Ruislip, on Wednesday 23rd July starting at 8pm.

Further meetings will be held on 22nd October 2014.

If you have any items to submit for consideration at the meeting please send to Honorary Secretary Jeremy Wasden or via the email address at this site.   Best to do this two months in advance for the agenda in the newsletter, but otherwise send us an email at our contact email address.