Countdown to Christmas at the South Ruislip Library

Have you heard about the fantastic opportunity to visit Hillingdon Councils living advent calendar?

It starts on 1st December at Uxbridge High Street at 6pm.

All the libraries are taking part and there are some fabulous ticketed events across the borough every day up to 24th December

In our wonderful South Ruislip Library…

When our door is opened on at 4.15pm 6th December, please come and join in the singing and carols with Bourne School Choir, feast on delicious free Christmas biscuits and drinks and dip into our bran tub for a Christmas tree decoration for your own Christmas tree.

For details, see Nov/Dec Hillingdon People or the Hillingdon Library website..

Boundary Review: What is right for South Ruislip?

The boundary review is a national review aiming to bring MP’s constituency size to a more uniform, and reduce the number of MP’s and has recommended changes which could affect South Ruislip and the wards that make up the seat.

Boundary Change Review 2018 Overview

Cavendish and South Ruislip wards which the SRRA covers, currently form a constituency with Uxbridge.  And that has changed in recent times. However the boundary review is proposing a change to include with the Hillingdon and Uxbridge constituency the Ealing wards of Northolt West End and Northolt Mandeville.

Boundary Change Proposal
Boundary Change Proposal

We see our MP’s being better able to represent us when they come under one council, namely the London Borough of Hillingdon and not tagged on with a small part of Ealing to make up the numbers.

Thus we support the council’s counter proposal of a seat which includes other parts of Ruislip.

Boundary Change Counter Proposal

For a more detailed discussion of the debate on the boundary change it may well be worth watching the recent Council meeting from early November where this is debated.

Skip to 58 minutes for this part but being able to see local democracy in action is well worth a watch.

These are our thoughts but whether you agree or disagree we would encourage you as local residents to let the boundary commission know what your feelings are on the subject.

Closing dates for submissions are the 5th December so get cracking.

Submissions to the Boundary Commission are very easy to leave using  their website


Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday October 26th 2016



Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday 26th  October 2016


In attendance were 58 residents and 10 committee members.  Councillors present Cllr Kelly, White and Barnes. Apologies were received from: Cllr Kaufmann, Cllr Lavery, Cllr Duducu, Geoff Taylor, Iris Ellis and Hazel Hook.


1.0  Meeting Opened 20:02.

Minutes signed off.

2.0  Long Drive Traffic Lights.

Discussion on why the council notice in the Gazette mentioning long closures was somewhat overstated and with the use of TFL temporary lights contractors were able to keep the traffic lights operational minimising disruption.

Taking Subs collected by the Road Stewards

3.0  Treasurers Report.

Balance £26.24.  Reserve £13,364.57

4.0  Secretary Report

Nothing to report

5.0  ARLA Development to ASDA, Cinema and Restaurants

The site is coming along.

Main issue is the West Mead turning.  Part of the problem is the lack of a right turn into West Mead.  Need a sign to say earlier no right turn into West Mead.  Also suggest change the keep clear to yellow box. Also issues with visibility at Angus Drive.

Sid and Cllr Kelly encouraged people to write to the council with their thoughts.  Write to Steve Austin;

Residents on Victoria Road annoyed by people doing three point turns in order to go back to access West Mead..

Waiting for the meeting to open

6.0  LIDL

The second request for planning permission relating to expansion was on planning rota. However it was withdrawn as a petition was raised from a place of worship on the site.  So the application was put on hold whilst being considered.  However the place of worship doesn’t have planning permission.  The place of worship has been submitted with a change of use.  This may be refused.  It could follow the site is unsuitable given they have had to petition with safety concerns.

7.0  HS2

Vote in parliament so likely HS2 to go through.  HS2 action alliance now pushing on fair compensation.

Spoil will come out of the tunnels to the east or west.  Not via S Ruislip.  Technology will be the same as Crossrail for creating the tunnels.


8.0  Youth Centre

Now has a permanent Manager.  Putting a program together and so will come in January and talk to us about an update then.

9.0  Christmas Lights In South Ruislip

Bid in for them.  Lamp posts needed but as changing we will get much more.  Much more to follow next year.

Sid Jackon, Vice Chair SRRA

10.0  Great Central Avenue / Great Central House

Planning application in for the expansion of the site.  Want to see if can defer as waiting to see about the unit growing too quick too quickly.

Raise a petition.  In planning you need to object on planning grounds.  There is concern about amenity space;  Lack of space for prams, egress safety grounds and a lack of parking spaces and rubbish provision.

Animated Discussion from Don

11.0  South Ruislip Chamber of Commerce

From Lynne Kauffman; Taken two years to get people together to improve the shopping centre.  All the changes in the area have consolidated their efforts. Committee formed and looking forward.

Lynne thanked for her sterling efforts in driving this forward.


12.0  SKLP

Matters look to be under control. But as ever need to watch going forward. Had to inform police of the events. Last year people were parking on the A40 slip road.

Concern over the location of parking on the SKLP site, which this last time was near to the residents in Harvey Road.

13.0 Brackenbridge House

Slip road full of garage cars and Corsa’s being sold. Going to put a one hour parking restriction in place.

14.0      Royal Crescent Alley Way

It is houses responsibility – but Cllr Kaufmann as arranged to resurface on the 10th or 12th of December.

15.0 Boundary Changes Proposed

Plan to change wards.  Agreed at meeting to support Hillingdon’s counter proposal.  We will post details on the website.


16.0  AOB

16.1  Request to return the bench outside the bus stop at ALDI. The bin has been replaced.

16.2  Victoria Road concern with parking issues all along the area from Aldi to the Manor. Petition raised. Council say they can’t do anything until the work for the ARLA site is done. However we have encouraged them to start the planning work.

16.3  When complete there is money to repave the pavements around junction of Victoria Road and Long Drive.

16.4  Waste bins outside shops in South Ruislip are over flowing on Monday morning.

16.5  Discussion on policing in South Ruislip.

16.6  Over height turn back sign causing delay at the South Ruislip Bridge.

16.7  Discussion on Sensor kits. We have monitoring in the West End Road.

16.8  Upgrade of Stonefield Park play facilities renewal. Letter to say work deferred until 2017/2018. Elaine has complained and asked for temporary works at least.

16.9  13th November invitation to the residents to join a service of remembrance. All welcome 10.30am at the Polish War Memorial.

Meeting Closed.