Category Archives: Democracy

South Ruislip Christmas Lights 2017

Monday 27th November the Christmas lights were turned on in South Ruislip.   Some of the many attending included Councillors Judy Kelly and Allan Kauffman, representatives from local business and member of the SOuth Ruislip Chamber of Commerce, Sid Jackson from the SRRA and other local residents.

[In my bias opinion they are the nicest lights we have had for many years! – Ed]

Boundary Commission Change – Uxbridge and Hillingdon – latest update!

The Boundary Commission have responded with changes to the constituency of Uxbridge and Hillingdon (note the change in name from Uxbridge and South Ruislip) by moving Harefield to the Ruilsip and Pinner constituency and adding more of Ruislip to the constituency.

The controversial move to include two Ealing Council Northolt Wards in the revised Uxbridge and Hillingdon constituency remains unchanged.

Maps of the proposed new Uxbridge and Hillingdon constituency can be found at the Commissions website link below.

Councillor Douglas Mills commented, :

“The Boundary Commission have accepted the argument that South Ruislip needs to be linked with Cavendish & Manor wards but the latest proposals from the Commission continues to miss the chance of bringing most of the Ruislip area under one MP. Indeed only 9,035 Ruislip residents are actually going to be in the seat with the Ruislip name. These will be those who live in West Ruislip ward and the part of Eastcote ward that covers East Ruislip.”

19,630 Ruislip residents living in Manor, Ruislip Gardens and South Ruislip including those in Cavendish ward will have no recognition of Ruislip in their proposed new constituency.  Which will be called Hillingdon & Uxbridge even though the two Ealing Northolt wards are still included!”

Do you think the boundary changes are a good idea, grounded in common sense or pragmatism?  Or are you against the proposal like Cllr Mills?

The consultation is once again open to the public until 11th December 2017.  This changes the political landscape until the next review so whatever your point of view we would suggest that you comment on the proposals.

View them and comment here:

https://www.bce2018.org.uk/node/6485

 

Minutes of the Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church Hall 25th October 2017

 South Ruislip Residents’ Association (established in 1939)

 Website :www.srra.org.uk

Email; srra12@hotmail.com

Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday 25th October 2017.

AGENDA

  1. Opening Remarks.
  2. Apologies for Absence.
  3. Minutes of Meeting.
  4. Matters Arising.
  5. Reports: Chairman, Treasurer, CRS, Secretary.
  6. Reports from Ward Councillors.
  7. Any other Business
Before the start of the meeting 2.

NEXT QUARTERLY MEETING ON 24th January 2017 AT ST MARY’s CHURCH HALL THE FAIRWAY 8 PM

  1. Opening Remarks

Vice Chairman Sid Jackson chaired and opened the meeting at 8pm. Sid welcomed everyone to the meeting.

In attendance were 59 residents and 9 committee members. Councillors present Cllrs Barnes and Kauffman.

  1. Apologies for absence

Apologies were received from: Kate Fennel, Hazel Hook, Frances Jones, Geoff Quantock, Jagjit Sohal, Jenny Hunt, Cllr Lavey and Cllr White, Cllr Kelly and Duducu, Geoff Quantock.

  1. Minutes

No comments on the last minutes

Before the start of the meeting
  1. Police

PC Maz Solanki spoke at the meeting and initially listed crimes in the area, in the last three months:

17 Assaults with injury, 6 Burglary non residential, 19 Burglary, 15 Common assaults, 28 Harassment

29 Other crimes notifiable, 24 Other thefts, 9 Drug related crime, 27 Motor vehicle thefts

15 Shoplifting, 1 Bike Theft.  189 in total.

The ward crime team in South Ruislip is down to one officer and one PCSO with a further PC joining the team this week.  Much lower than the five the ward used to have, which the officer lamented.

What are the clear up rates?  Unknown.  Low clear up for motor vehicle without CCTV not investigated without further evidence 9 out of 10 times it gets closed.

Closure of police station. Not informed when closed but expects shortly for Ruislip and Uxbridge especially as no custody suite at Uxbridge.  [Update subsequent to meeting MOPAC is looking to retain Ruislip with a North of borough presence and close Uxbridge in favour of Hayes station]

They are likely to merge three boroughs police forces to cut costs.

How will you travel?  3 unmarked vehicles in Ruislip.  Not enough for the number of officers. Likely to cycle.

There are not enough vehicles to support the officers.  Who use cycles, quite possibly to cycle from Hayes.  They are likely to start off in local areas and march out from the library. They don’t know where their locker rooms etc will be.

Cllr Teji Barnes raised the recent meeting at the council with MOPAC. The entire borough does not want this initiative. Discussed MOPAC initiative to shut Ruislip and Uxbridge police station. Lynne Kauffman praised a number of people who responded to the proposal and suggested people.

The PC raised concern about any of the police stations which will impact on response times.

What is causing much of the issues at the moment?

Worse issue is kids on cycles causing issues.  A lot of cycling on the ARLA Dairy site especially at ASDA.  Distraction thefts.  Are they local children?  They come from Hayes, Harrow, Ealing and the ramp and cinema are attracting them in.  The police have seen a large influx.  The PC has visited the parents of the children.

Cycle crime is more of an issue in the neighbouring wards than moped crime.

Disappointed with the response from security at ASDA.

Are you getting more officers to help support?  No.

Getting seven or eight calls a day from the site.  The onus is on security at the site.  The police don’t cover the site as private land.

  1. Reports from Vice Chairman – Sid Jackson

Introduced Rebecca and Sophie from Brunel who are Students journalists writing articles about South Ruislip

Norfest went very well and Sid thanked the committee members who attended.

ALRA development award from RICS for the site, the award goes forward to a national prize.

  1. Treasurers Report – Colin Hook

Current account £991.44 and £12,366.43 in the reserve.  Expenses to come at £215.

  1. ARLA Site

Complaint about vehicles being unloaded for sale on the site and set for sale from Victoria Road.  Seen as not adopted by council so not their issue.

  1. Lidl

Open before March. No move on this.  Further roadworks to be done.

What about the building used for worship behind?  Still seeing movement in the area.  But not large groups seen.  Planning and appeal for worship at the site rejected.

Time for a break

9.0 HS2

Work started. Drilling bore holes for the tunnels in the area Harvil Road, Rabournmead, Bridgewater Road, Sainsburys Car Park, Great Central Avenue and Herlwyn Avenue.  Expect to start work properly at the end of next year.

10.0 RAF Northolt  – James Tenniswood.

What is happening?  Many flights, due to Brexit, 5 people went to Caribbean moving the aid packages and water.

No plans to expand the commercial operation out of RAF Northolt and no plan for bigger aircraft and no increase in cap for flights.

There is a change in the resurface work on the runway which will now take place from July to November/December.  Fixed wing traffic will cease.  Rotary aircraft (helicopters) will stay and may increase when moving VIP’s around.

Whilst working on the runway they are improving the arrester bed at end of the beds.  Really looking at strengthening the beds.  Main work is strengthening the middle part of the runway where it is weakest.

Discussed the wider uses of the site.  Varied environment 32 supported units, map making, two bands, Queens colour squadron, BFOS Post office, bomb disposal and many more.  Service prosecuting authority.  About 2000 people there and only 600 are RAF. The runway is only 5% of the services at RAF Northolt.

Not able to accept scheduled flights. Not geared for it.  As a military base they have to be able to cancel flights as it is used by specialist agencies this would not work with scheduled flights.  No customs, gates, terminals, parking to cope etc or fire crews.

They will have large military aircraft in such as the C17.

They believe there is a crashed WWII Hurricane which they will try to recovered and excavate but pressure to complete the runway ASAP.

Very good of James Tenniswood to come in on his own time.

11.0  SKLP

Open Evening last week, applied for planning permission for change to a sports club. This will be opposed by Hillingdon Council and ourselves.  The officer opposing is keen to show any experiences that they have that highlight issues that you have had.  Please send via email to the SRRA and we will forward on.

12.0  Cllr Teji Barnes – Resurface and Fly Tipping Cavendish

Funding aside for roads, Broadhurst, Whitby Road around the shops, Hunters Hill, Southbourne and Greencroft and a limited number of pavements in the area. Mount Pleasant, Ridgeway, Oxford Drive and Newnham Avenue.

Looking at getting the clock working at Field End School following Frances Jones suggestion.  This will be done using the ward budget.  Looking to keep the original design.

Regular fly tipping at Church near Whitby Road.  Keen to report the action.  Cllr Barnes keen to use mobile cameras to tackle the issue.

13.0  Report from Chief Road Steward – Geoff Taylor

Three Road Stewards are retiring.  Looking for people for Mount Pleasant.  One for Palace Road and Diamond Road and one for 76-170 Long Drive and Fairview.

By the way – subs do not include free teas!

Tea time!

14.0  Cycling on Pavements – Doug Lewington

Disappointed by cycleway merging with pavement as proposed by the council from Station Approach to Polish War Memorial.  Designated as joint path bikes and pavement. Petition raised by Doug Lewington, with around 140 signatures going to be presented to Democratic Services by Cllr Kauffman to have this reconsidered.  Concern it is dangerous, the footpath is not wide enough.

15.0 South Ruislip Chamber of Commerce / South Ruislip Bridge

Sanjay from the Car Shop in Ruislip Parade spoke, introducing Sarah from Simply Flowers and Shahin from Ruislip Stars.

The SRCoC traders needed to pull together to combat the threat from the new trading site and to speak to the council together so have just launched the South Ruislip Chamber of Commerce.

Sarah discussed their passion to bring Christmas to South Ruislip, with a carol service and Father Christmas in the parade outside the shops.  The wanted help with car parking especially the public car park next to Sainsburys.

The car park is used by commuters.  Keen for spaces to be used for people who will shop locally.  Cllr Allan Kauffman said this was work in progress to change 15 bays for local shopping.

Discussion on keeping the road and pavement clean.  The council are not sweeping after replacing the pavements whilst this dries out.  Concern a heavy sweeper will disrupt the paving slabs.

Lynne mentioned that there is a monthly litter pick scheme if people wanted to join this. They promoted cleaning the paving in front of the shops encouraging owners to take ownership for these areas.

16.0 South Ruislip Improvements – Cllr Allan Kauffman

On the subject to South Ruislip improvements, Cllr Allan Kauffman then went on to detail the improvement scheme to the shopping area of South Ruislip which is in three phases. From the nursery to the chip shop then under the bridge and to the plumbing centre finally.  The improvements to the area include benches, bins, trees and other improvements.

Further from the Cllr: Christmas lights, set to improve this year: Spending £13,300 Ruislip £8,000 and  £13,017 in South Ruislip.  36 columns being decorated.  Installed on the 6th and 7th November and switch on the 13th November.

Road will be resurfaced.  Queens Walk, Fairway and Victoria Road and Station Approach.  Contact Allan if any roads missed.

Consultants working on the bridge improvement plans at South Ruislip including such as cladding, light and walkway raised.

Noted a further strike on the bridge, this time by a lorry from Spar.

Victoria Road.  Sid has written to Cllr Burrows (Traffic) Proposal for parking on the road to be unveiled following plans by the council.   Sid thought that the only way forward is to widen the road space and allow parking in the verges.

No right turn into West Mead and the filter into the ARLA site not working.  Raised as an issue within the council.

Sid as Chair thanked the SRCoC for attending.

17.0  AOB

Colin promoted the litter picking on a Saturday morning once a month in the area.  Colin picked up two bags of litter in a short distance. Concern about fly tipping in the car park opposite the Middlesex Arms.

Sid mentioned Greggs bags dumped by Queensmead students on the way to school.

Will the tip at South Ruislip open again?  No, too expensive for Hillingdon after the costs were increased by operators

Geoff Taylor suggested when the runway is closed work can be done at West End Road.  Should be resurfaced by TFL then suggested to Cllr AK.

Traffic headed to West End Road on Station Approach – facing long delays. Lights will be reviewed by council as part of the whole process as the ARLA centre is opened and Cllr AK said they will be improved.

12th of November Polish War Remembrance Service.  RAF Padre to take the service.  All welcome.  Choir from Bourne School, drama students and other people coming. Service start 10.30am, arrive at 10.15.  Details on the website.

There are a number of residential roads not covered by Neighbourhood watch in the area.  The coordinator will send a list of these to us and we will ask for support from our members.

Discussion on Boris Johnson attending the SRRA meeting in the future.  Pencilled in for 2018. It is likely to be a 4pm start on a Thursday or Friday.  We will prioritise the regular attendees to come to the meeting.

     Meeting Closed at 9.40 pm.

Minutes from July Quarterly Meeting

We have just posted the minutes from the last quarterly in July.  Plenty happening in the area with HS2 and news on the field opposite Field End School on Field End Road.  No more Thunderpark!

The minutes can be found over here.

Sorry for the delay in getting them out this time!

Whats Happening in South Ruislip?: Latest Updates! January 2017

Calling them meeting minutes gets a little dull.  But if you want to know whats happening with Lidl Planning or a devious thief in B&M/ALDI or whether HS2 building has started, it is all below!

In this age of the demise of newsletters it’s probably one of the best sources of local South Ruislip information…

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association

Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday 25th January 2017

In attendance were 52 and 14 committee members.  Councillors present Eddie Lavery, Judy Kelly, Michael White, Allan Kauffman and Teji Barnes.  Henry Neel of Lidl and South Ruislip SNT Sgt James Wright.

Apologies were received for Mrs Val Blacker and SRRA committee member Geoff Taylor.

1.0        Opening Remarks & Welcome & Matters Arising from the Minutes & Signed Minutes. 

2.0          Police  by South Ruislip SNT Sgt James Wright

The meeting was joined by South Ruislip SNT Sgt James Wright.  Discussed recent crime figures with concern over burglary and car crime.  Assaults put down to police recording of even playground scraps where informed.

Burglary the police feel there are two teams operating on the area, one has been disbanded with arrests made and they are working on the second.  They are working in Thames Valley and the Met mixing this up with vehicle crime.

Theft of personal property also high due to retail parks.  Police disappointed B&M and ALDI are not paying for security.  Local police targeting a prolific female thief in B&M/ALDA, with thefts “almost daily”.  Sgt Wright suggested not taking whole bag there only credit cards which can be replaced with little loss.

They are working on the robbery in Victoria Road.  The perpetrators left behind vehicle forensics and items dropped which have created a number of leads for the police but they are waiting on those forensics results.

3.0          LIDL Henry Neel

Have planning consent at committee on the 11th January.  They are discharging planning conditions, agreeing S106 and 278 highway works. The next stage for confirmation of the build is from the Mayors office/ GLA an then Hillingdon will give Lidl formal confirmation.   Approval is expected and they look to start on site April and open by Christmas.

Question regarding S106 spend.  Henry Neel suggested looking online for full report on planning website.  But the exact details of the planned costs are still being agreed with London Borough of Hillingdon officers.

Source Minutes and agenda report pack

Plans for the site can be found here.

4.0          Treasurers Report

As at 30th December 2016 current account  £247.24 Reserve account  £13,365.46.  Full accounts at the AGM but we made a small surplus.

5.0          Chief Road Steward Report

Thank you to Lynne Kauffman for organising with distribution of this month’s newsletter with various members of the committee and to the Road Stewards for their delivery.

We are seeking Road Stewards for Station Approach, Bourne Court, Melthorne Drive, Queens Walk, Queens Walk Terrace, West End Road and Wingfield Way

6.0          ARLA Site

Handed over with fit out expected by May.  Small delay caused by a power cut.

Developers hope to host an open evening event, which we will make open to SRRA meeting attendees, if we can.

Sid keen to look at the cinema as it built so following that closely.

Citygrove has purchased a sculpture which they will unveil.

Bellway housing opening on a different timescale.   The walkway to open linking to Station Approach as the commercial site opens.
7.0          HS2

Looks like it will go ahead.  Work to start at the end of the year.  HS2 forced to reveal data on housing purchase and compensation deals to make a more level playing field for people.

Tunnel from old oak common.

Need to dig up for sewers on Long Drive/Station Approach/Bridgewater Road/West End Road.  Concern the work will take a couple of years rather than just months.  The impact will be massive as Allan pointed out to parliament at HS2 hearing.

8.0          London Green Belt Council

No Issues

9.0          RAF

22nd July is the date for the family day only a little flying.  Circa 8000 tickets, meant to be a local event. £5 adults £3 children.

10.0        Community Voice

Linda typed up the minutes from the last meeting of Community Voice and we will circulate.  [Secretary – see the post here]

11.0        Youth Centre

Update from Allan and Lynne Kauffman.

Now organised by Dettie Quirke (who is running youth centres across the borough) who is actively seeking to regenerate activity for local children and aim to get the children back in with a series of targeted activities.  Open evening there tonight.  Youth workers will be full time over summer holiday.

“The centre is gradually starting to come back to life.”

On a day to day basis four youth workers at the moment.  Lynne Kaufman confident in roving care taker, Bill who looks to take pride in the centre.

Seeking Youth volunteers.  Dettie Quirke will come and talk to us at a future date.

12.0        Improving South Ruislip

After hearing a rumour from Sainsburys staff at SR that the store might close, Sid rang the David Mills Property Manager who said that it was a good store, trading well and not closing. Sid asked him about improving the store, and offered some suggestions and he will hopefully come back to us.

From Cllr Allan Kauffman.  Looked with officers at the parade as the area looks poor compared to the modern Dairy Development.  The trees to be pollarded or replaced and new pavements with more trees and seating.  Lots of planters by the railings and modular flower display – possibly paid for my SRRA.  Price set to be around £200,000.  Paid on S106 and TFL funds. Should happen in this year.

Concern expressed that once work done it will be dug up again and ruined by work such as HS2 and ARLA in the area.  Sid said that contractors would be obliged to return the site to the same condition.

Good Christmas lights next year.  Asked for green, white and red rather than colder blue and white ones.

Bridge works. Plans drawn up to clad the brickwork, with a higher walkway and better lighting.  Taken up with TFL.  Cost is circa £350,000.  Allan to continue to work on this.

Positive response to road changes at the junction of Long Drive and Victoria Road but request for better signage and consideration for speeding the southerly route onto West End Road from Station Approach.   Discussed difficulty in doing that and the knock on effect of heavy traffic and poor road layout at the Target roundabout.

Cars on Victoria Road, concern with parking both sides of the road.  Looking at changes to either one side of the road or both.  Likely to lose trees but will replant.

13.0        Great Central House, Great Central Avenue Opposite Station.

Aware of planning and councillors aware but it is not on planning schedule as yet.  Concern re overcrowding in the area.  Ex-Fireman expressed concern about buggies etc left in the stairway as it is a means of escape route and should be clear at all times.  Councils responsibility under the regulatory reform order.  It’s a protected route.  Allan said he would follow this up with enforcement officers.

14.0        SR Chamber of Commerce Update

Buying flowers in the parade on Long Drive, Sid asked in the Florist about the chamber of commerce and said that the response was so enthusiastic he was greatly encouraged.

Next meeting of the Chamber in Feb. Plenty of space for meetings without over reliance on the Ramada.  We support and Sid will attend a future meeting. Sanjay chair been trading for 30 years in car repair and we know he is very keen on the area.

Nursery expanding into adjacent buildings with positive trading.

15.0        SKLP

Historically disruptive to neighbours.  Not so bad last year.  Revitalise efforts and awareness amongst police and Hillingdon council officers when close to festival season.

16.0        Brackenbridge House – Slip Road

Corsa being sold from the area.  Illegally running a business.  Plan to block the area with no parking between 10am and 12am to stop vehicles being left there, such as the van advertising the hand car wash which does not seem to have moved in 5 years.  It is also bad for the nursing home at Brackenbridge House.  Parking changes have gone to consultation.

17.0        Alleyway Royal Crescent and Field End Road

Road resurfaced, part of this is due to work by David Seaman campaigning.  Needs bollard placing to stop cars cutting through in a somewhat dangerous fashion.  This element to be done at residents cost by a resident builder.  Resurface work paid for by the Chrysalis fund.

18.0        Boundary Changes

Keen to stay with rest of Ruislip rather than split off with Ealing wards and Hillingdon area.  Lady wrote asking what is happening.  We await the Boundary Commission’s recommendations in due course but it will take a while as due to affect 2020 elections.

19.0        AOB

19.1        Scam Email HMRC 

From Cllr Teji Barnes – Watch out for scam emails which contain promises of tax refunds.  Such as this one.

hmrc-email

19.2 Building to rear of Lidl Columbus House

Allan Kauffman – Bought by a worship group in 2013.  They put in a change of use to change to worship use and a retail use below.  A tiler currently works below.  This was refused for numerous reasons, mainly as an industrial area not for worship.

If they got planning permission it would add traffic and block the road.

[Secretary : It sounded like the application was not formally refused for change of use.]  They’ve also set up marques and events (non-permanent) which we would expect them to hold license for to operate.

Sid wanted to know what they could put in a petition against Lidl who is trying to act correctly legally and they stopped planning (albeit temporarily).  Can’t the council refuse the petition because it comes from a body operating illegally? Why are planning enforcement officers not following this up on it?

Cllr Lavery spoke (as a councillor who chaired the planing committee meetings).  They were presented with a  valid petition (which just needs 20 Hillingdon residents signatures to be valid regardless of anything else) at the meeting but it was never considered or explored as Lidl agreed to make changes to the plan to move things around.  However the committee can only rule on the proposition that is presented not one changed.  Thus the planning decision was deferred.   The meeting did not get further to consider the decision.

Lidl  came back with a revised scheme.

The councillors will follow up on the Columbus House site.  “It is being actively followed up on.”

19.3        Thank you

Thank you for the tea and coffee and the all the help getting the newsletters out.

19.4        Meeting Closed

Next SRRA Quarterly meeting is the AGM Wednesday 26th April 2017

 

 

Boundary Review: What is right for South Ruislip?

The boundary review is a national review aiming to bring MP’s constituency size to a more uniform, and reduce the number of MP’s and has recommended changes which could affect South Ruislip and the wards that make up the seat.

Boundary Change Review 2018 Overview

Cavendish and South Ruislip wards which the SRRA covers, currently form a constituency with Uxbridge.  And that has changed in recent times. However the boundary review is proposing a change to include with the Hillingdon and Uxbridge constituency the Ealing wards of Northolt West End and Northolt Mandeville.

Boundary Change Proposal
Boundary Change Proposal

We see our MP’s being better able to represent us when they come under one council, namely the London Borough of Hillingdon and not tagged on with a small part of Ealing to make up the numbers.

Thus we support the council’s counter proposal of a seat which includes other parts of Ruislip.

Boundary Change Counter Proposal

For a more detailed discussion of the debate on the boundary change it may well be worth watching the recent Council meeting from early November where this is debated.

Skip to 58 minutes for this part but being able to see local democracy in action is well worth a watch.

These are our thoughts but whether you agree or disagree we would encourage you as local residents to let the boundary commission know what your feelings are on the subject.

Closing dates for submissions are the 5th December so get cracking.

Submissions to the Boundary Commission are very easy to leave using  their website www.bce2018.org.uk/

 

Mayoral Elections Today

Have made the short walk to the Polling station at St Swithun Wells this morning with my wife. Lovely short walk in the sunshine discussing candidates. Almost romantic – we know how to live it up don’t we.

The SRRA would strongly encourage you to exercise your democratic right and vote today.

How To Vote Mayoral Election
How To Vote Mayoral Election