Category Archives: Parks

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday 26th April 2017

In attendance were 52 residents and 10 committee members.  Councillors present Cllr Kelly, Kauffman and White.

Apologies were received from: Cllr Lavery & Cllr Barnes.

  • Meeting Opened 20:03.

Minutes signed off.

  • Reports from the Chairman

Collecting emails for invites to the opening of the cinema.  Going to give details to Citygrove with the hope that they invite the attendees of this meeting.

Will discuss HS2, ARLA and Victoria Road and traffic congestion later.

Any comments on the newsletter following the change?  Yes, please make sure we add the date and time of the meeting.  Did you like the mast head with the Polish War Memorial? Positive reply.  This is our local landmark.  Some more work to tidy it up and improve the presentation.

  • Secretary Report

Noted that the meeting is recorded for the benefit of the minutes.

  • Treasurers Report

As at last night current account £505.94 and Reserve £13,365.79.  Out-standing is a cheque for insurance for £156.75.

Colin placed on record thanks to John Davy for auditing the accounts. Accounts accepted by the meeting.

John said thank you for not claiming expenses to the committee.

  • Chief Road Steward

Vacancies for road stewards in West End Road (side that backs onto Wingfield Way)(12), Bourne Court and Station Approach (6), Cavendish Avenue and Dudley Drive (13) and part of The Fairway, odd numbers (19).    Not an onerous task;  Delivering four times a year and collecting subs. Have taken on a few Road Stewards recently.

Going to deliver newsletters to the flats on the ARLA site to encourage them to join the resident’s association.

  • Election of Officers
Officer Person
Vice Chairman Sid Jackson
Treasurer Colin Hook
Chief Road Steward Geoff Taylor
Secretary Jeremy Wasden

 Officers were duly proposed and seconded.  All voted in with approval of the AGM.

Mr Sohal asked Sid whether he would become Chair.  Sid mentioned he felt he was unable to attend to meetings at the council and similar activities which meant that he could not do the job of chair with 100% commitment.

Question from the floor.  Did Sid not take the Chair role and stay Vice-Chair so that he didn’t have to remain neutral as a Chair should do?  Sid said he was unaware of such a rule.  Secretary commented that it is better to be impassioned and take a view to move the association forward but we would always give both sides of the argument the opportunity to put their case (within reason).  

  • ARLA Site

ASDA opens 22nd of May.  Looking to recruit within 5 miles of the store.  Manager did say he was coming to speak tonight but has clearly forgotten.  Nando’s has opened.  The Cinema will open in July.   Looking to invite members to the opening.

  • Has applied for license to sell alcohol until 3am.

Live music, dance and recorded music and food until 5am.  More like a nightclub than a cinema.

Judy was the only complainant previously and encouraged people to write in to the panel and complain.

Might be hard to object when the restaurants and the BP have a license.  But reason to be concerned with the nightclub elements.  Have approached Cllr Kauffman for a form to object.  A concern about anti-social behaviour and planning permission creep.

Agreed to raise a petition against (which was done with 54 signatures).

Question from the floor.  What licencing committee would allow that variance?  The government changed licencing laws, with more freedom of the sale so can only really object to poor behaviour after the permission has been granted.  When rejected from the council licence committee they have then appealed and gone to a magistrate who has accepted the conditions and granted the application.   Very hard to stop the agreement, only get refused later after complaints.

The council would put on conditions which help restrict this, such as two trained staff needed at BP to sell alcohol at night.

Do the Cinema need to change their planning use?  Cllr Kauffman said they would go back and follow up with the council officers.

  • LIDL

The Comet building has gone.  Bensons of Bed’s is still trading and construction work is ongoing.

  • HS2

Sid attended a meeting with HS2 staff about the amenity work.  They have appointed contractors Costain and Skansa who will work between 8am and 6pm.  Due to start March 2019 digging up the roads.  Will drill small bore holes for samples along the route.  Dig up the road between Sainsbury’s and the Fishing Net and under the bridge and at Bridgewater Road bridge and along West End Road.

Sid has written to the chair of the HS planning committee to ensure that the window for works is large enough to complete the works without running at the same time.

The lorries will be circa 50 lorries a day as they remove spoil from the vent shaft at the ARLA site.

Looks to be a computer modelling exercise for the planning rather than carefully planned locally on ground.

Read in paper Brexit may delay and if delayed by a couple of years it may kill off HS2.

  • RAF Northolt Open Day

22nd of July.  Some tickets still available £5 each.  As a resident’s association we will be at the show.  Enough people to man the stand.  We have pictures to use.  Will hand out newsletters and a perhaps a canvas bag.

  • RAF Northolt Runway

They have the go ahead for the replacement for the runway which will mean the runway is closed between April to October next year to fix wing aircraft.  Still open for helicopters.

Carried out scans on the remains of the crash spitfire from WWII.  It is not a war grave.  Looking to excavate during the refurb of the runway.

Large amount of people on the site.  BFPO, Central Band, RAF Band, some thirty units there.  Quite a complex base with a fair amount of scale there.

Response from the Cllrs to Ealing’s proposal to but 20,000 houses on the site.  – Can you imagine what the impact would be?  Total no no.  Last surviving Battle of Britain airport. They have a restriction that they can’t take scheduled flights, nothing that gets in the way of short term needs of the military.    Can’t take any airplanes over 28 seats.

Is there a relationship with London Docklands airport?  No only shared management of VIP area.

Sid saw the commitment of the runway refurb as positive, but no guarantee.

  • Improvements to South Ruislip

Field End Recreation ground.  Proposal was to add two buildings, but stopped as ceiling for boxing ring is 12ft.  Going to be rebuilt now.    Will be a car park, fencing and MUGA pitch there.  Sports hall, changing facility, canteen and office.  All covered by CCTV.  Cost will be £1.4Million plus £400k for the pitch.

Good use for field only used once a year.

Skateboard Park.  On the Field End Rec near the road, but far from housing.  Funding in place.

Road resurfacing.  Victoria Road to Eastcote Arms.  Station Approach to West End Road.  Then footpaths.  The Fairway and Queens Walk to receive the attention.  Pavements are more expensive than roads to do.  Quicker to do via tarmacs.  400 miles or road in the borough and around 800 miles of pavement.

Break for tea

The Fairground at Field End Road.  If crime can’t be controlled the fair will be stopped.

Great Central Avenue.  Not many objections raised to addition of further flats and petitioners did not turn up.

Concern over what is left at the bottom of the stairs.  Based on information from a former fire chief will look at the law and Allan will check it out.

Bonnells Electric Contractor.  Fenced off pavement and dumping cable reels in the front of the building.  Concern about it looking a mess and parking on the front yard.

Eastcote Arms.  Looking to be turned back into a pub, planning application in with Harrow to turn into 16 flats.

  • Victoria Road Traffic Parking and Traffic

David Seaman’s speech.  He thanks the council for the resurfacing of the area between Field End Road and Royal Crescent.

“Due to cars parked in Victoria Road between South Ruislip and Ruislip Manor it can be difficult, if not impossible to pass a large vehicle, coming in the opposite direction.   Not long ago I personally experienced what can happen when large vehicles come head to head and cannot find enough room to pass each other, and are unable to reverse due to the traffic that had quickly built up behind them. As result of this a large number of motorist had no option but to do a u turn in Victoria Road in order to find another way around this obstruction.   How this blockage was resolved I have no idea as the large vehicles were still head to head when it came my turn to leave the scene by doing u turn. What would happen if an emergency vehicle would want to go down there?

Both our Vice Chairman and Councillor Kauffman have told me that the council are aware of this problem and that the council intend to do something about it, but nothing seems to be happening.

In view of the inaction may I request that our association writes to the council on a formal basis asking them. “What and when do they propose to do something about this problem?”

 Sid followed up the Cllr Burrows and the council have looked at various issues with the road, widening, parking, the trees and it’s a difficult problem which they don’t want to tackle in his opinion.

Linda raised a petition about the parking some 15 months ago, so it being looked at as a parking issue rather than a vehicle access.  Sid wrote to say that the road is not fit for purpose as an HGV access route to South Ruislip.

Kris – same problem in Great Central Avenue.

Cited as a good example, Eastcote Road in Harrow, seems to have worked.  Have removed the trees countered Allan.

Sid keen for the council to walk the site at Victoria Road.

ALDI/B&M Removal of superstore sign.  Needs to be either give way or filter light.  Concern still of people turning right into West Mead.

  • Cllr Judy Kelly

Attended petition hearing from two years ago.  Part of the pavement to be divided on West End Road cycle road. Still looking for a crossing over the A40 for children from Harvey Road.  Historic objection from TFL for zebra crossings on the A40 slip road.  Concern for speed.

  • AOB
    • Extend lanes on two lanes on West End Road

Suggestion following the improvement in to junction at The Fairway and Victoria Road.  Up to TFL to develop the area.  Glebe Farm owned by an offshore insurance company.  Pinch point at Glebe Farm.  Might ease traffic into West End Road.

  • Pavements Being Broken by large lorries in the area

Encourage residents to take photographs where possible and the council will prosecute and make for example builders pay for it.

Complaints about vehicles parking on pavements and grass verges.

16.3      Bus Bin West Mead

Needs to be on the other side, located against solid wall with advertisement.

  • Flower & Plant Sale Ruislip Lions

6th of May at the Rugby Club, West End Road.

Meeting Closed.

MINUTES OF THE SOUTH RUISLIP RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION QUARTERLY MEETING HELD AT ST MARY’S CHURCH – WEDNESDAY APRIL 27TH 2016

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association

Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday April 27th 2016

In attendance were 65 residents and 11 committee members.  Councillors present Judy Kelly and Eddie Lavery.

Apologies were received from: Jenny Hunt and Cllr Kaufmann, PC Jack Duerden.

April 2016 SRRA Quarterly Meeting
April 2016 SRRA Quarterly Meeting

1.0   Minutes signed off and Vice Chair Sid Jackson opened the meeting.

2.0   Police.

Manor and Cavendish

Acting Sergeant Tristan Brown has recently taken on this role. His dedicated ward officers are Sarah Fordham (Manor) and Ajay Shah (Cavendish).

His 2 dedicated PCSOs are Gurbinder Sandhu and John Dickens (John is currently on a small squad delivering MetTrace kits across the Borough)

The following officers are also part of the team: Aidan Young and Nathan Francis

South Ruislip

Sergeant Karl Spour is the new sergeant. His dedicated ward officer is now James Burgess

His dedicated PCSOs are Kara Remick and Anne Marie Chapman-Bennett

The following officers are part of the his team: Allan Webster, Jack Duerden, Maz Solanki and Charlie Mitchell (joins in June)

Rabournmead Drive

Skeletal remains were found.  The police believe they have identified the person.  The person had been missing since last year.   The polices working hypothesis is that the person, sadly,  died sleeping rough.

3.0   Brian Varley from Bellway Homes

Bellway Homes are the construction company building the residential homes at the ARLA site.  Construction will be fully complete in two years time.  Sales of the first phase opened at the weekend.  They are sold out on the first release.  They are working on the site with other construction companies Simmons and Stace, who deal with the commercial side of the development.

Questions/Comment from the floor:

Site access for pedestrians.  Bellway are creating a pedestrian walkway through from Station Approach which will be at the side of the Middlesex Arms.

Traffic will be separate from the shopping side of the development giving residents their own access to the site.

Drawing showed trees on the plans, but these have all been removed.  Established trees removed in the construction phase but other trees and landscaping will be planted at the perimeter. This will be completed towards the end of the development.

Question about affordable / housing association properties and quantity and proportion of these.  163 plots in total and there are 18 shared ownership homes which will be affordable and 18 rented units to let via a housing association.  No HA yet appointed to manage these.

What of car parking at the site? Parking is one space for one flat/property.  Generally thought to be low, but meets regulations etc.

Are these properties all sold to overseas buyers?  Not really, many local buyers, property advertised locally and many sold to local people.

4.0 Report from the Chairman

ARLA Site

Sid visited the ARLA site.  Impressive.  On target for completion by end of year.  Likely to be open around Easter next year.  The Focus site entrance opposite West Mead (now Aldi / B&M) will close and entrance will be part of the overall scheme.

Lidl

First phase plans approved for the development at Victoria Road, but the larger development is still waiting points to be cleared and planning application then will go to planning committee meeting.

HS2

Seeing movement in MP’s positions from opposition to mitigate the disruption that construction will cause.  See this as a sign that work will go ahead.

5.0   Treasurer’s Report

Current account balance £1,229.88.  Reserve £12,361.33.

No questions for Colin.

6.0 Chief Road Stewards Report

Hunting for Road Stewards for The Fairway, Diamond Road, Royal Crescent.  Wingfield Way.

Simple task to visit the houses and deliver.  Collecting the money is also simple, can be completed in a way that suits you.

7.0   Secretary Report

Nothing to report

8.0 Officers Election

The following officers were returned as standing for the following year.

Name Position
Vice Chair Sid Jackson
Treasurer Colin Hook
Chief Road Steward Geoff Taylor
Secretary Jeremy Wasden

9.0   Cllr Judy Kelly & report from Cllr Alan Kauffman who submitted in Writing

SKLP

Cllr Judy Kelly petition raised from local residents on Harvey Road re the disruptive behaviour from the site.  SKLP were better neighbours in 2014, but were more disruptive later last year with a poorer response from council officers and the police to the issues raised by residents.

Keen to improve the situation again for residents.

Youth Club at South Ruislip

Conversations with councillors have been ongoing. Set up meetings about way forward.  Report update when know more.

Block of Flats opposite South Ruislip Station on Great Central Avenue

Much work especially by Cllr Kauffman.  Flats will house people in need of temporary housing.  They can house up to four people.  Owned by Hillingdon but leased to a housing association.  An open day is being arranged by the provider to view the flats for local residents.  Date tba.

Yellow Lines on Field End Road

Now painted.

Corsa’s illegally parked in Brackenhill

Cat and mouse with council officers.  Now not advertised.  Looking at parking meters.

Bridge at South Ruislip

Looking to improve Station Approach.  Written to mayor, designers worked site.  Bridge is very dark.  When it floods can’t get through.  Walls seep moisture.  Perhaps put cladding on, raise pavement by two foot and raise light levels.  Circa £353k cost to improve.

10.0 RAF Northolt

Station Commander here next meeting.

The runway is going to be resurfaced next year.  New base to the tarmac needed, very invasive work.  Therefore the runway is going to close next year for around 9 months.

Display. Question from floor about whether flying displays will be affected following crash at Shoreham. Sid felt not as displays not aerobatic.

Flybe.  Wrote wanting to fly from Northolt.  Sid said feeling was it won’t happen.  Can’t operate scheduled flights as military has priority.  Once start to have a schedule the military would lose control.  There are also restrictions on aircraft passenger numbers due to ambulance cover, fire covers etc.  Not in foreseeable future.

Part 2 SRRA Meeting. 

Tea Break SRRA Quart Meeting April 2016
Tea Break SRRA Quart Meeting April 2016

Secretary Jeremy left, and Lynne Kauffman kindly completed the minutes for the evening.

Item Discussion/requests Action
11 VC Jackson carried out a vote to verify the proposed and seconded officers of the executive.

There was an overwhelming positive vote for all all committee members carried forward.

Open invitation to any member who wishes to attend the executive meetings 9thJune, 14July.

12 Update requested on the ground between the library and the youth centre on Victoria Road. Cllr Lavery stated that it was council owned land. Cllr Kelly reported on the site history for the development of the site. Cllr Kauffman and Cllr Kelly to investigate.
Members question Question on the fly tipping opposite the dentists on Northolt Avenue. To be resolved through an Members Enquiry.
Members question Use and development of the site on Station approach that was previously a nursery. Cllr Kelly though it was to be used for a day centre. Lunch club was mentioned but there is already a lunch club held at St Mary’s church hall 3 x per week run by Good Neighbours the club includes transport and outings. Publicise the lunch club in the newsletter to attract new members.
AOB from the committee.
  • GT(Chief Road Steward) raised the issue of identification for road stewards- use of photographs was suggested by a member. GT requested support still required for deliveries.
  • LC community report – Jim O’Neill walk almost impassable because of lack of drainage- suggested use of the Chrysalis fund to improve drainage.
  • CH no points to raise.
  • Non committee member(editor of newsletter) LK promoted the open meeting on EU for all South Ruislip residents 29th April 7:30 at the Ramada Hotel.
Still required

Diamond Road

Royal Crescent

The Fairway

West End Road

Wingfield Way

 

 

To be reported by Cllr Kelly

AOB from the floor
  • Question raised ‘Are we likely to see more of Boris once the election is over.
  • Northolt Avenue fly tipping repeated
VC to invite Boris Johnson to a meeting. Cllrs mentioned BJ’s surgery on Friday evening.
VC thanked members for attending meeting closed at 9:28pm.

Date of the next meeting 27th July.

 

Official Playground Opening!

The Mayor of Hillingdon, Councillor George Cooper will be opening the refurbished playground at The Fairway/Long Drive playground this Wednesday at 11.30am.

 

 The London Borough of Hillingdon invites local children along with their families to join the Mayor at the official opening of the newly refurbished playground at Long Drive

 

 This will be on Wednesday 27 May, 11.30am

 

 For more information contact the Chrysalis team on 01895 250118 or email chrysalis@hillingdon.gov.uk