Category Archives: HS2 Updates

Minutes of the Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church Hall 25th October 2017

 South Ruislip Residents’ Association (established in 1939)

 Website :www.srra.org.uk

Email; srra12@hotmail.com

Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday 25th October 2017.

AGENDA

  1. Opening Remarks.
  2. Apologies for Absence.
  3. Minutes of Meeting.
  4. Matters Arising.
  5. Reports: Chairman, Treasurer, CRS, Secretary.
  6. Reports from Ward Councillors.
  7. Any other Business
Before the start of the meeting 2.

NEXT QUARTERLY MEETING ON 24th January 2017 AT ST MARY’s CHURCH HALL THE FAIRWAY 8 PM

  1. Opening Remarks

Vice Chairman Sid Jackson chaired and opened the meeting at 8pm. Sid welcomed everyone to the meeting.

In attendance were 59 residents and 9 committee members. Councillors present Cllrs Barnes and Kauffman.

  1. Apologies for absence

Apologies were received from: Kate Fennel, Hazel Hook, Frances Jones, Geoff Quantock, Jagjit Sohal, Jenny Hunt, Cllr Lavey and Cllr White, Cllr Kelly and Duducu, Geoff Quantock.

  1. Minutes

No comments on the last minutes

Before the start of the meeting
  1. Police

PC Maz Solanki spoke at the meeting and initially listed crimes in the area, in the last three months:

17 Assaults with injury, 6 Burglary non residential, 19 Burglary, 15 Common assaults, 28 Harassment

29 Other crimes notifiable, 24 Other thefts, 9 Drug related crime, 27 Motor vehicle thefts

15 Shoplifting, 1 Bike Theft.  189 in total.

The ward crime team in South Ruislip is down to one officer and one PCSO with a further PC joining the team this week.  Much lower than the five the ward used to have, which the officer lamented.

What are the clear up rates?  Unknown.  Low clear up for motor vehicle without CCTV not investigated without further evidence 9 out of 10 times it gets closed.

Closure of police station. Not informed when closed but expects shortly for Ruislip and Uxbridge especially as no custody suite at Uxbridge.  [Update subsequent to meeting MOPAC is looking to retain Ruislip with a North of borough presence and close Uxbridge in favour of Hayes station]

They are likely to merge three boroughs police forces to cut costs.

How will you travel?  3 unmarked vehicles in Ruislip.  Not enough for the number of officers. Likely to cycle.

There are not enough vehicles to support the officers.  Who use cycles, quite possibly to cycle from Hayes.  They are likely to start off in local areas and march out from the library. They don’t know where their locker rooms etc will be.

Cllr Teji Barnes raised the recent meeting at the council with MOPAC. The entire borough does not want this initiative. Discussed MOPAC initiative to shut Ruislip and Uxbridge police station. Lynne Kauffman praised a number of people who responded to the proposal and suggested people.

The PC raised concern about any of the police stations which will impact on response times.

What is causing much of the issues at the moment?

Worse issue is kids on cycles causing issues.  A lot of cycling on the ARLA Dairy site especially at ASDA.  Distraction thefts.  Are they local children?  They come from Hayes, Harrow, Ealing and the ramp and cinema are attracting them in.  The police have seen a large influx.  The PC has visited the parents of the children.

Cycle crime is more of an issue in the neighbouring wards than moped crime.

Disappointed with the response from security at ASDA.

Are you getting more officers to help support?  No.

Getting seven or eight calls a day from the site.  The onus is on security at the site.  The police don’t cover the site as private land.

  1. Reports from Vice Chairman – Sid Jackson

Introduced Rebecca and Sophie from Brunel who are Students journalists writing articles about South Ruislip

Norfest went very well and Sid thanked the committee members who attended.

ALRA development award from RICS for the site, the award goes forward to a national prize.

  1. Treasurers Report – Colin Hook

Current account £991.44 and £12,366.43 in the reserve.  Expenses to come at £215.

  1. ARLA Site

Complaint about vehicles being unloaded for sale on the site and set for sale from Victoria Road.  Seen as not adopted by council so not their issue.

  1. Lidl

Open before March. No move on this.  Further roadworks to be done.

What about the building used for worship behind?  Still seeing movement in the area.  But not large groups seen.  Planning and appeal for worship at the site rejected.

Time for a break

9.0 HS2

Work started. Drilling bore holes for the tunnels in the area Harvil Road, Rabournmead, Bridgewater Road, Sainsburys Car Park, Great Central Avenue and Herlwyn Avenue.  Expect to start work properly at the end of next year.

10.0 RAF Northolt  – James Tenniswood.

What is happening?  Many flights, due to Brexit, 5 people went to Caribbean moving the aid packages and water.

No plans to expand the commercial operation out of RAF Northolt and no plan for bigger aircraft and no increase in cap for flights.

There is a change in the resurface work on the runway which will now take place from July to November/December.  Fixed wing traffic will cease.  Rotary aircraft (helicopters) will stay and may increase when moving VIP’s around.

Whilst working on the runway they are improving the arrester bed at end of the beds.  Really looking at strengthening the beds.  Main work is strengthening the middle part of the runway where it is weakest.

Discussed the wider uses of the site.  Varied environment 32 supported units, map making, two bands, Queens colour squadron, BFOS Post office, bomb disposal and many more.  Service prosecuting authority.  About 2000 people there and only 600 are RAF. The runway is only 5% of the services at RAF Northolt.

Not able to accept scheduled flights. Not geared for it.  As a military base they have to be able to cancel flights as it is used by specialist agencies this would not work with scheduled flights.  No customs, gates, terminals, parking to cope etc or fire crews.

They will have large military aircraft in such as the C17.

They believe there is a crashed WWII Hurricane which they will try to recovered and excavate but pressure to complete the runway ASAP.

Very good of James Tenniswood to come in on his own time.

11.0  SKLP

Open Evening last week, applied for planning permission for change to a sports club. This will be opposed by Hillingdon Council and ourselves.  The officer opposing is keen to show any experiences that they have that highlight issues that you have had.  Please send via email to the SRRA and we will forward on.

12.0  Cllr Teji Barnes – Resurface and Fly Tipping Cavendish

Funding aside for roads, Broadhurst, Whitby Road around the shops, Hunters Hill, Southbourne and Greencroft and a limited number of pavements in the area. Mount Pleasant, Ridgeway, Oxford Drive and Newnham Avenue.

Looking at getting the clock working at Field End School following Frances Jones suggestion.  This will be done using the ward budget.  Looking to keep the original design.

Regular fly tipping at Church near Whitby Road.  Keen to report the action.  Cllr Barnes keen to use mobile cameras to tackle the issue.

13.0  Report from Chief Road Steward – Geoff Taylor

Three Road Stewards are retiring.  Looking for people for Mount Pleasant.  One for Palace Road and Diamond Road and one for 76-170 Long Drive and Fairview.

By the way – subs do not include free teas!

Tea time!

14.0  Cycling on Pavements – Doug Lewington

Disappointed by cycleway merging with pavement as proposed by the council from Station Approach to Polish War Memorial.  Designated as joint path bikes and pavement. Petition raised by Doug Lewington, with around 140 signatures going to be presented to Democratic Services by Cllr Kauffman to have this reconsidered.  Concern it is dangerous, the footpath is not wide enough.

15.0 South Ruislip Chamber of Commerce / South Ruislip Bridge

Sanjay from the Car Shop in Ruislip Parade spoke, introducing Sarah from Simply Flowers and Shahin from Ruislip Stars.

The SRCoC traders needed to pull together to combat the threat from the new trading site and to speak to the council together so have just launched the South Ruislip Chamber of Commerce.

Sarah discussed their passion to bring Christmas to South Ruislip, with a carol service and Father Christmas in the parade outside the shops.  The wanted help with car parking especially the public car park next to Sainsburys.

The car park is used by commuters.  Keen for spaces to be used for people who will shop locally.  Cllr Allan Kauffman said this was work in progress to change 15 bays for local shopping.

Discussion on keeping the road and pavement clean.  The council are not sweeping after replacing the pavements whilst this dries out.  Concern a heavy sweeper will disrupt the paving slabs.

Lynne mentioned that there is a monthly litter pick scheme if people wanted to join this. They promoted cleaning the paving in front of the shops encouraging owners to take ownership for these areas.

16.0 South Ruislip Improvements – Cllr Allan Kauffman

On the subject to South Ruislip improvements, Cllr Allan Kauffman then went on to detail the improvement scheme to the shopping area of South Ruislip which is in three phases. From the nursery to the chip shop then under the bridge and to the plumbing centre finally.  The improvements to the area include benches, bins, trees and other improvements.

Further from the Cllr: Christmas lights, set to improve this year: Spending £13,300 Ruislip £8,000 and  £13,017 in South Ruislip.  36 columns being decorated.  Installed on the 6th and 7th November and switch on the 13th November.

Road will be resurfaced.  Queens Walk, Fairway and Victoria Road and Station Approach.  Contact Allan if any roads missed.

Consultants working on the bridge improvement plans at South Ruislip including such as cladding, light and walkway raised.

Noted a further strike on the bridge, this time by a lorry from Spar.

Victoria Road.  Sid has written to Cllr Burrows (Traffic) Proposal for parking on the road to be unveiled following plans by the council.   Sid thought that the only way forward is to widen the road space and allow parking in the verges.

No right turn into West Mead and the filter into the ARLA site not working.  Raised as an issue within the council.

Sid as Chair thanked the SRCoC for attending.

17.0  AOB

Colin promoted the litter picking on a Saturday morning once a month in the area.  Colin picked up two bags of litter in a short distance. Concern about fly tipping in the car park opposite the Middlesex Arms.

Sid mentioned Greggs bags dumped by Queensmead students on the way to school.

Will the tip at South Ruislip open again?  No, too expensive for Hillingdon after the costs were increased by operators

Geoff Taylor suggested when the runway is closed work can be done at West End Road.  Should be resurfaced by TFL then suggested to Cllr AK.

Traffic headed to West End Road on Station Approach – facing long delays. Lights will be reviewed by council as part of the whole process as the ARLA centre is opened and Cllr AK said they will be improved.

12th of November Polish War Remembrance Service.  RAF Padre to take the service.  All welcome.  Choir from Bourne School, drama students and other people coming. Service start 10.30am, arrive at 10.15.  Details on the website.

There are a number of residential roads not covered by Neighbourhood watch in the area.  The coordinator will send a list of these to us and we will ask for support from our members.

Discussion on Boris Johnson attending the SRRA meeting in the future.  Pencilled in for 2018. It is likely to be a 4pm start on a Thursday or Friday.  We will prioritise the regular attendees to come to the meeting.

     Meeting Closed at 9.40 pm.

Minutes from July Quarterly Meeting

We have just posted the minutes from the last quarterly in July.  Plenty happening in the area with HS2 and news on the field opposite Field End School on Field End Road.  No more Thunderpark!

The minutes can be found over here.

Sorry for the delay in getting them out this time!

Hillingdon Against HS2 – Newsletter 48

Here is the latest full newsletter sent by ‘Hillingdon Against HS2’ on 13th March 2017.

Dear Supporters,

It has been sometime since our last news update, largely because the last few months have been such frustrating times. We are sure by now you are aware that HS2 has received Royal Assent in parliament and the project has been given the final approval to go ahead.

Hillingdon Against HS2 have worked hard over the last 6 years, to campaign on your behalf against HS2 at every opportunity. We have engaged in every official parliamentary process, all consultations,meetings,court cases and even petitioned The House of Commons and The House of Lords. We have lobbied MPs and prominent politicians, held countless public meetings,organised protests, marches and publicity stunts, gaining much media coverage along the way.

You can listen to our reaction to the news of Royal Assent on BBC Radio London HERE

However all of our efforts have not been in vain, whilst we may not have achieved our goal of stopping HS2, Hillingdon Against HS2 have secured major changes to the project, to help our local area and those affected by the construction of the line.

Since the original plans were released back in 2011, Hillingdon Against HS2 have helped secure tunnelling of the line through Ruislip and subsequently Northolt, Greenford and Perivale. We instigated the scrapping of the ‘Heathrow Spur’ part of the route, saving a whole swathe of our borough, not to mention millions of pounds being wasted. We also helped win changes to the compensation boundaries which has allowed residents in Ickenham and Harefield to be included in compensation schemes.

Hillingdon Against HS2 are very proud of these significant changes to the project, much of which we achieved with the help of Hillingdon Council and we are grateful for their ongoing support of our action group and their opposition to HS2.

So what of the future?  
We are continuing to work with Stop HS2 and HS2 Action Alliance, who are dedicated to exploiting every and any future opportunity to stop HS2.
Just because Parliament has given HS2 the go ahead, it doesn’t necessarily mean it will definitely happen.
No business Case, No Environmental Case and No Money To Pay For It. This has always been the campaign strap line and it is even more true today than ever.
With the NHS in crisis, ongoing public sector cuts, concerns over Brexit and the British economy, we still hold out hope that common sense will prevail,somewhere in government…

For now, it is clear that Hillingdon Against HS2 will be kept busy on everyone’s behalf but we will have a slightly different focus. With preliminary ground investigation works already starting and the threat of construction creeping nearer, we will be monitoring local activities and developments and aiming to keep HS2Ltd on their toes.
We will continue to work with Hillingdon Council and liaise with the appropriate bodies to respond where and when we can.

Currently there are two important issues we need to bring to your attention:

SETTLEMENT DEEDS
If you live or have property within 30 meters of the the HS2 tunnel on plan, then your property will have been ‘sub surface safeguarded’ and you may be concerned about possible damage to your property during construction of the tunnels, or the running of the railway line. Not all properties will qualify for ‘before and after surveys’ but if you have not already, you should make sure you
pre-register your interest in a ‘Settlement Deed’ .
The eligibility criteria for benefitting from a settlement deed is complicated but this document may help HERE
At this stage we would urge you to make sure you register your property.
Send an email to  HS2settlementdeeds@hs2.org.uk
Or
Write to “HS2 Phase One Settlement Deed pre registration”
HS2 Ltd, One Canada Square,London, E145AB

Simply include your full name and the address you wish to register, with your full contact details for future communication.
For more information see our website page HERE 

COMMUNITY AND BUSINESS FUNDS
There will be many hundreds or us that will be affected by HS2 locally, who don’t qualify for any compensation for the disruption that 7-10 years of construction will cause.
Whilst we fought hard for as much mitigation as possible ( and we are continuing to put pressure on HS2Ltd to do more) many parts of our communities will still suffer disruption or financial losses.
To help offset this, HS2Ltd have set aside £40 Million, in 2 different national funds which are available to apply for now.
This is an opportunity for community groups, schools ,charities, sports clubs,
local businesses,resident associations, etc. to put in bids for a share of these funds.
This is a rare opportunity to find some benefit from HS2 and it shouldn’t be passed up!
If you have a connection to any group or business who you think might be eligible, PLEASE encourage them to apply and share this information on.
There is more information and detail to help you HERE

Keep in touch.
Please do keep in touch regularly, we post daily updates,articles and photos on our Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/360986966901/
More news and photos on our website
https://ruislip-against-hs2.co.uk/
Or follow us on Twitter
@HillingdonAHS2    @Mrs_angryjones 

If you have any concerns or complaints about any aspect of HS2 work there are some important contacts listed below. If you do have a need to contact HS2Ltd – and particularly if you have a complaint – please remember to copy in your MP ( and us!)

HS2Ltd
Hs2enquiries@hs2.org.uk  or their 24hour helpdesk 0207 944 4908 ( this is not a free number)

HS2 Resident’s Commissioner 
residentscommissioner@hs2.org.uk

HS2 Construction Commissioner
complaints@hs2-cc.org.uk

MPs
boris.johnson.mp@parliament.uk
nick.hurd.mp@parliament.uk

Once again,many thanks for your continued support and interest.
Hillingdon Against HS2

Whats Happening in South Ruislip?: Latest Updates! January 2017

Calling them meeting minutes gets a little dull.  But if you want to know whats happening with Lidl Planning or a devious thief in B&M/ALDI or whether HS2 building has started, it is all below!

In this age of the demise of newsletters it’s probably one of the best sources of local South Ruislip information…

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association

Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday 25th January 2017

In attendance were 52 and 14 committee members.  Councillors present Eddie Lavery, Judy Kelly, Michael White, Allan Kauffman and Teji Barnes.  Henry Neel of Lidl and South Ruislip SNT Sgt James Wright.

Apologies were received for Mrs Val Blacker and SRRA committee member Geoff Taylor.

1.0        Opening Remarks & Welcome & Matters Arising from the Minutes & Signed Minutes. 

2.0          Police  by South Ruislip SNT Sgt James Wright

The meeting was joined by South Ruislip SNT Sgt James Wright.  Discussed recent crime figures with concern over burglary and car crime.  Assaults put down to police recording of even playground scraps where informed.

Burglary the police feel there are two teams operating on the area, one has been disbanded with arrests made and they are working on the second.  They are working in Thames Valley and the Met mixing this up with vehicle crime.

Theft of personal property also high due to retail parks.  Police disappointed B&M and ALDI are not paying for security.  Local police targeting a prolific female thief in B&M/ALDA, with thefts “almost daily”.  Sgt Wright suggested not taking whole bag there only credit cards which can be replaced with little loss.

They are working on the robbery in Victoria Road.  The perpetrators left behind vehicle forensics and items dropped which have created a number of leads for the police but they are waiting on those forensics results.

3.0          LIDL Henry Neel

Have planning consent at committee on the 11th January.  They are discharging planning conditions, agreeing S106 and 278 highway works. The next stage for confirmation of the build is from the Mayors office/ GLA an then Hillingdon will give Lidl formal confirmation.   Approval is expected and they look to start on site April and open by Christmas.

Question regarding S106 spend.  Henry Neel suggested looking online for full report on planning website.  But the exact details of the planned costs are still being agreed with London Borough of Hillingdon officers.

Source Minutes and agenda report pack

Plans for the site can be found here.

4.0          Treasurers Report

As at 30th December 2016 current account  £247.24 Reserve account  £13,365.46.  Full accounts at the AGM but we made a small surplus.

5.0          Chief Road Steward Report

Thank you to Lynne Kauffman for organising with distribution of this month’s newsletter with various members of the committee and to the Road Stewards for their delivery.

We are seeking Road Stewards for Station Approach, Bourne Court, Melthorne Drive, Queens Walk, Queens Walk Terrace, West End Road and Wingfield Way

6.0          ARLA Site

Handed over with fit out expected by May.  Small delay caused by a power cut.

Developers hope to host an open evening event, which we will make open to SRRA meeting attendees, if we can.

Sid keen to look at the cinema as it built so following that closely.

Citygrove has purchased a sculpture which they will unveil.

Bellway housing opening on a different timescale.   The walkway to open linking to Station Approach as the commercial site opens.
7.0          HS2

Looks like it will go ahead.  Work to start at the end of the year.  HS2 forced to reveal data on housing purchase and compensation deals to make a more level playing field for people.

Tunnel from old oak common.

Need to dig up for sewers on Long Drive/Station Approach/Bridgewater Road/West End Road.  Concern the work will take a couple of years rather than just months.  The impact will be massive as Allan pointed out to parliament at HS2 hearing.

8.0          London Green Belt Council

No Issues

9.0          RAF

22nd July is the date for the family day only a little flying.  Circa 8000 tickets, meant to be a local event. £5 adults £3 children.

10.0        Community Voice

Linda typed up the minutes from the last meeting of Community Voice and we will circulate.  [Secretary – see the post here]

11.0        Youth Centre

Update from Allan and Lynne Kauffman.

Now organised by Dettie Quirke (who is running youth centres across the borough) who is actively seeking to regenerate activity for local children and aim to get the children back in with a series of targeted activities.  Open evening there tonight.  Youth workers will be full time over summer holiday.

“The centre is gradually starting to come back to life.”

On a day to day basis four youth workers at the moment.  Lynne Kaufman confident in roving care taker, Bill who looks to take pride in the centre.

Seeking Youth volunteers.  Dettie Quirke will come and talk to us at a future date.

12.0        Improving South Ruislip

After hearing a rumour from Sainsburys staff at SR that the store might close, Sid rang the David Mills Property Manager who said that it was a good store, trading well and not closing. Sid asked him about improving the store, and offered some suggestions and he will hopefully come back to us.

From Cllr Allan Kauffman.  Looked with officers at the parade as the area looks poor compared to the modern Dairy Development.  The trees to be pollarded or replaced and new pavements with more trees and seating.  Lots of planters by the railings and modular flower display – possibly paid for my SRRA.  Price set to be around £200,000.  Paid on S106 and TFL funds. Should happen in this year.

Concern expressed that once work done it will be dug up again and ruined by work such as HS2 and ARLA in the area.  Sid said that contractors would be obliged to return the site to the same condition.

Good Christmas lights next year.  Asked for green, white and red rather than colder blue and white ones.

Bridge works. Plans drawn up to clad the brickwork, with a higher walkway and better lighting.  Taken up with TFL.  Cost is circa £350,000.  Allan to continue to work on this.

Positive response to road changes at the junction of Long Drive and Victoria Road but request for better signage and consideration for speeding the southerly route onto West End Road from Station Approach.   Discussed difficulty in doing that and the knock on effect of heavy traffic and poor road layout at the Target roundabout.

Cars on Victoria Road, concern with parking both sides of the road.  Looking at changes to either one side of the road or both.  Likely to lose trees but will replant.

13.0        Great Central House, Great Central Avenue Opposite Station.

Aware of planning and councillors aware but it is not on planning schedule as yet.  Concern re overcrowding in the area.  Ex-Fireman expressed concern about buggies etc left in the stairway as it is a means of escape route and should be clear at all times.  Councils responsibility under the regulatory reform order.  It’s a protected route.  Allan said he would follow this up with enforcement officers.

14.0        SR Chamber of Commerce Update

Buying flowers in the parade on Long Drive, Sid asked in the Florist about the chamber of commerce and said that the response was so enthusiastic he was greatly encouraged.

Next meeting of the Chamber in Feb. Plenty of space for meetings without over reliance on the Ramada.  We support and Sid will attend a future meeting. Sanjay chair been trading for 30 years in car repair and we know he is very keen on the area.

Nursery expanding into adjacent buildings with positive trading.

15.0        SKLP

Historically disruptive to neighbours.  Not so bad last year.  Revitalise efforts and awareness amongst police and Hillingdon council officers when close to festival season.

16.0        Brackenbridge House – Slip Road

Corsa being sold from the area.  Illegally running a business.  Plan to block the area with no parking between 10am and 12am to stop vehicles being left there, such as the van advertising the hand car wash which does not seem to have moved in 5 years.  It is also bad for the nursing home at Brackenbridge House.  Parking changes have gone to consultation.

17.0        Alleyway Royal Crescent and Field End Road

Road resurfaced, part of this is due to work by David Seaman campaigning.  Needs bollard placing to stop cars cutting through in a somewhat dangerous fashion.  This element to be done at residents cost by a resident builder.  Resurface work paid for by the Chrysalis fund.

18.0        Boundary Changes

Keen to stay with rest of Ruislip rather than split off with Ealing wards and Hillingdon area.  Lady wrote asking what is happening.  We await the Boundary Commission’s recommendations in due course but it will take a while as due to affect 2020 elections.

19.0        AOB

19.1        Scam Email HMRC 

From Cllr Teji Barnes – Watch out for scam emails which contain promises of tax refunds.  Such as this one.

hmrc-email

19.2 Building to rear of Lidl Columbus House

Allan Kauffman – Bought by a worship group in 2013.  They put in a change of use to change to worship use and a retail use below.  A tiler currently works below.  This was refused for numerous reasons, mainly as an industrial area not for worship.

If they got planning permission it would add traffic and block the road.

[Secretary : It sounded like the application was not formally refused for change of use.]  They’ve also set up marques and events (non-permanent) which we would expect them to hold license for to operate.

Sid wanted to know what they could put in a petition against Lidl who is trying to act correctly legally and they stopped planning (albeit temporarily).  Can’t the council refuse the petition because it comes from a body operating illegally? Why are planning enforcement officers not following this up on it?

Cllr Lavery spoke (as a councillor who chaired the planing committee meetings).  They were presented with a  valid petition (which just needs 20 Hillingdon residents signatures to be valid regardless of anything else) at the meeting but it was never considered or explored as Lidl agreed to make changes to the plan to move things around.  However the committee can only rule on the proposition that is presented not one changed.  Thus the planning decision was deferred.   The meeting did not get further to consider the decision.

Lidl  came back with a revised scheme.

The councillors will follow up on the Columbus House site.  “It is being actively followed up on.”

19.3        Thank you

Thank you for the tea and coffee and the all the help getting the newsletters out.

19.4        Meeting Closed

Next SRRA Quarterly meeting is the AGM Wednesday 26th April 2017

 

 

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday July 27th 2016

In attendance were 45 residents and 9 committee members.  Councillors present Cllr Alan Kaufmann. Apologies were received from: Frances Jones, Margaret Wallis, Cllr Kelly and Cllr Duducu

1 .0   Meeting Opened 20:02

Minutes signed off.  Item 3. Pedestrian access.  Walkway to be open when the commercial site is opened for access from Long Drive.

2.0   Police

Update from Ward Sgt James Burgess. Many moves in the Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) for South Ruislip.  Insp Rob Bryan has been promoted to Chief Inspector in charge of SNT’s.  Sgt Burgess has three constables, new and all keen and adept.  Sgt Burgess has been in the police for thirteen years. Mostly in neighbourhoods.  Ward Sgt for 8 weeks.

Complaints about Field End Rd, Paddock Road, drug use.  3 drugs arrests including 70 wraps of heroin.  Also cannabis.  Also complaints in The Fairway.  Vehicle and knife seized.  Sgt Burgess said that they were successes as a result of information from residents, so please inform the police.  They want more information.  Personally to the SNT, by dialling 101, twitter and email. Don’t mind the route, just get them the information about local criminal activity.

Burglary figures.  In May, 11 down to 2 in June.  In a recent case a burglary was started, the alarm went off and the burglar was scared away by alarm.  First break in for a while.  The message from the police is take sensible precautions and reduce your risk.

One gentleman asked about cycling on pavements which Sgt Burgess explained was an issue he was hot on.

Discussed children riding on bikes recklessly in Queens Walk and Mount Pleasant.  Cllr Kauffman mentioned Kings College as a good diversion for attention and hinted at plans for South Ruislip for BMX course/skateboarding and things of that ilk. “Watch this space”.

No plans to reopen the satellite police station on The Runway in South Ruislip.  But plans locally to improve visibility of police by walking in the ward. Aim to be on the ward for shifts including on late shifts up to midnight.

Brackenbridge.  Issues with kids on motorbikes.  The police have seen this as well whilst walking in parks near West End Road and Bridgewater Road in the field.  Comments that they were gathering in White Butts.

Complaint about a noisy motorbike in the area.  Details taken by the police.

3.0   RAF Northolt

Hannah OC Operations and Squadron Leader James Tenniswood, Media and communications officer.

Round up of recent occurrences.  There are two thousand people on the unit.  The looked after the spare for Marine One which was brought in by C17.  They have been involved with Exercise Griffon Strike in Cornwall, taking senior MOD and ministers there via helicopter to watch the drill.

Keeping them most busy – flights for Senior Ministers and Royal Family.  Parliament in recess so a little quieter.  But there have been a lot of short notice flights recently.

Also they site the two helicopters for London Air Ambulance.  Their flying times are limited by sunlight.

Flight safety.  Concern about local drones activity.  Need users to stick to the CAA regulations.

Lasers.  Being shone on planes are a risk to the sight of pilots.  There are hotspots for lasers use in Field End Road and Long Drive.

Wingfield Way.  Hedges cant be cut at the moment due to nesting season.  Not cut April to July.  Can do it in August and they will do.

The station was awarded Station of the Year by RAF Benevolent fund, for raising funds, £53,000 for this charity and raised £230,000 in a year for all the charities.

Questions about a quirky and noisy plane which was identified as a Piago airplane.  Belongs to Italian air staff.

Comments that there are a lot of helicopter movements at the moment.  The RAF representatives said they felt the number of movements for them was low, but there the base has a helicopter lane route over RAF Northolt.  Apart from exercises not many there really.  Just fly over head.

Maintenance on runway to take place in the next two years.  But waiting and don’t know when.  It will close for 6-9 months for fixed wing aircraft.

Comment from the floor about Project ARC meaning RAF Northolt could take up to 50,000 movements at year. 12,000 cap per year is the remit subject to ministerial approval.

Operational tempo meant that the RAF Northolt open day is a staff only event.  However in 2017 the idea is a community open day so there will be a focus on local people getting tickets rather than plane/RAF buffs.  They will advise more at the next RAF/community meeting.

4.0   Reports Treasurer

Current account £329.24 and deposit account £13,362.89 in reserve at 25th July 2016.  Outstanding £140 for a newsletter and ID tags £15.

5.0   Chief Road Steward

Thanked the Road Stewards.  Vacancies for Exmouth Road (40) Queens Walk (22) West End Road (12).  Discussed Lanyard’s.  The lanyard was the expensive part of the fit out.

Mahlon Avenue & Hardy Avenue did not receive a newsletter from Kate.  Discussed the routine of the newsletters going out.

Geoff reiterated the need for up to date list of houses and the roads.

6.0   Ward Councillor – Allan Kauffman

Rubbish Bins.  Spate of domestic waste in waste bins.

Roads to resurfaced Brackenbridge Road, Abbots close, Down Barnes, White Butts and Stafford Road.  Next challenge is the pavements.  First is Long Drive.

Green Flags – most awards in Hillingdon in the country.  Awarded to parks for amenity and trees. Very proud of Hillingdon’s Green spaces and this award.

Bridge at South Ruislip Station Approach: Looking for a proposal from officers to improve the immediate area of the bridge, passed to TFL for £350,000.  Ruislip Manor work cost £11 Million.

Complaints about weeds on Rydal Way. Sent photos to Cllr Judy Kelly.   Comment on weed sprayer on a quad bike, being done at speed so possibly ineffective.

Complaint about bridge and pigeons at Ruislip Gardens.

7.0   Lidl

Lidl will be on major planning on 24th August.  Recommended for approval. Watch for the details on the website.  One of the issues was with Benson’s for Beds delay as an island in the car park.  Plan to open by end of March next year

8.0 ARLA Site

Cited to open one week before Easter.

Shopkeepers in The Fairway complained about spaces being taken up being used for spoil. Parking spaces to be returned for customer use from Allan.

Have started the road widening.

9.0   HS2

Action Alliance against HS2.  Cost currently £55 Billion.  Spent £1 and a quarter billion with nothing to show for it.  We believe part of Europe wide high speed rail link, but this idea is broken in London anyway.  Expected downturn in the economy and so anti groups are hoping HS2 might be a casualty.

Meeting Closed.

HS2: Campaign Update and House of Lords Deadline

0203 286 8701
twitter facebook google + linkedin
Dear SRRA,

Campaign Update and House of Lords Deadline

On 23 March the HS2 Hybrid Bill was voted through at third reading in the House of Commons by 399 votes to 42.  This means that it will now move to the House of Lords for consideration.

This message for those of our supporters who live near the route of Phase 1 of HS2 and are therefore entitled to petition in the House of Lords. 

Timing in the House of Lords

The HS2 Bill had its first reading in the House of Lords on 23 March (a procedural stage where there was no vote) and the House of Lords Petitioning period has now begun.  It commenced on 24 March and will end at 5pm on 18 April.

Petitioning Process – what can you do?

The House of Lords petitioning process works in the same way as the House of Commons process in that those people who are affected by the HS2 project can submit a written document – a petition – setting out what you would like to see changed in terms of better mitigation or compensation in your area.  Once you have submitted a petition you can either appear in person in the House of Lords to ask the House of Lords Select Committee to implement the changes you are requesting or you can appoint someone else to appear on your behalf.  This can be any individual such as a local representative, councillor, member of your local action group etc.   We would recommend that the most effective way to make your case is to appear in person and explain to the committee what you would like.  Technical expertise is not required and the Select Committee will be very sympathetic and helpful to individual petitioners appearing and making their cases.   However if you can’t be there in person it is still better to submit a petition and have someone else represent you than submit nothing.

How do I submit my petition?

The good news is that the rules in the House of Lords are slightly different to the House of Commons in that it is now possible to submit petitions by email or by post and you are no longer required to submit it in person or via your MP.  You still have to pay a fee of £20 – even if you have petitioned already in the House of Commons.  For a full guide to petitioning please click here to review advice provided by the House of Lords

This also includes a template petition to which you can add the points you would like to raise.   Please note that if you send a petition by email you must also follow it up with a paper version sent by post (but this can arrive after the 18 April deadline).

Can I petition on the same topics I petitioned on in the House of Commons?

Yes you can.  If the mitigation or compensation which you requested in your House of Commons petition was not addressed or granted then you can petition on the same topic in the House of Lords.  Whilst the House of Commons Select Committee did make some changes to the HS2 project by granting additional tunnelling/deeper cuttings etc in some areas we believe that there are still a great many areas where the plans remain deeply unsatisfactory and further changes are required to effectively mitigate this project.   If you believe that the points made in your first petition were not addressed you can even use the same wording in your House of Lords petition.

The House of Commons Select Committee didn’t listen when I petitioned, is it really worth petitioning again?

We believe that it is because the House of Lords Select Committee is a totally separate body which will be new to the issues.  Often members of the House of Lords are experts in their fields and they are also less confined in terms of being “whipped” to vote for a government project.  We believe that there is a good chance that the House of Lords may be more independent minded and open to making changes than the House of Commons.

This will be your last chance to achieve any changes to Phase 1 of HS2.  The deadline is 5pm on Monday 18 April.

HS2AA

HS2 Event – Ickenham Village Hall – March 8th

From Lottie Jones, organiser of Hillingdon Against HS2.  Lottie’s email came with an HS2 leaflet which discusses the event….

CS445 Engagement Event Invite_ICKENHAM (1)

Hi,

You may be aware that HS2Ltd are putting on an event for Hillingdon at Ickenham Village Hall on 8th March.
HAHS2 will have a stand outside the hall and we’re hoping the event will attract as much attention as possible.
Please can you share the information with any of your members – this event will be the only one in Hillingdon and should be an opportunity to catch up on all the changes since petitioning.
We’re also looking for volunteers to come and help out on our stands throughout the day.
It would be good to see you there.
Best Wishes
Lottie

RUISLIP AGAINST HS2 – NEWSLETTER 45

The latest newsletter written by Ruislip Against HS2…

Dear Supporters,

You may have noticed that it’s been some time since our last update. We apologise for the long gap between newsletters. 2015 proved to be a difficult and busy time for HAHS2, not least
because of all the HS2 developments but our (very small) committee needed some personal time for health issues along with family and work commitments.
Much of last year was taken up with the preparation and presentation of petitions before the HS2 Select Committee and bringing the new MP for South Ruislip and Uxbridge Boris Johnson, up to speed.
There have been many announcements and developments and we hope that you have been keeping up to date with progress via our Website and our Facebook Page where we post
regular news items and notices.
Petitioning
Hillingdon was represented in Parliament by many individuals from across Ruislip,Harefield and Ickenham as well as action groups,resident associations,local councillors and Hillingdon Council itself.
We’d like to thank everyone who was involved. Many hours of often stressful and hard work went into the presentations which made for an incredible contribution from Hillingdon.
Unfortunately our major objective of achieving an extended tunnel from West Ruislip through the Colne Valley was not successful which is incredibly frustrating.
You can read the Committee’s decision HERE
However many of the petitions concentrated on smaller issues and many of these were recognised by The Committee and were given more consideration. Agreements known as assurances and undertakings were
given on a range of issues including construction traffic numbers and routes, timing of utility works and effects on individuals’ homes.
H.O.A.C was a big priority in the Hillingdon petitions and whilst there has been no agreement to save it in it’s current form, there are plans to relocate the facility.This is really disappointing and not the outcome
we or H.O.A.C hoped for.We aim to have updates soon on any progress made.
There were only small concessions made to the mitigation measures we were seeking but we have at least secured the opportunity to continue to have an input into how HS2 is planned – should it ever go ahead.
Appearances
You can watch a session of the main community petition for Ruislip  HERE from 11.10a.m
You can watch a session of the main community petition from Harefield Tenants and Residents Association  HERE  from 15.14p.m
You can watch a session from the main community petition from Ickenham Residents Association HERE from 9.29 a.m
You can watch a  session of some of the Hillingdon Councillors making the case on behalf of residents from across the borough HERE from 15.13p.m
(Please be aware some of these links may take some time to load)
Tunnel Depth
A major development arose from the process. During presentations from Ruislip, HS2Ltd suddenly introduced new information concerning the depth of the proposed tunnel.
For over 3 years we had been led to believe that the tunnel would be 30metres deep under properties, but now we know it could be as little as half that in some areas.
Unfortunately this was revealed after all the Ruislip petitions had been heard.
HAHS2 made a formal complaint to the Chair of the Committee and HS2Ltd’s QC was forced to issue us with an apology.
This however remains a big issue,not least because residents have been misled about tunnel depth and HS2Ltd have yet to give a satisfactory explanation – despite requests and follow up meetings,
but more importantly because it makes a significant difference to the level of vibration and settlement to properties that could occur.
We are very concerned that the HS2Ltd arguments put to, and accepted by The Committee,in rejecting our arguments,were based on inaccurate tunnel depths.
You can watch the session HERE from 9.31a.m where the mistake was acknowledged. It also goes on to feature Nick Hurd MP and Boris Johnson MP and their evidence in the final summing up of all Hillingdon’s petitions.
You can see the guide to settlement that HS2Ltd have produced in response  HERE – though this has not been sent to those affected it was simply added to their website.
Read more about the details of what happened HERE
As a result of the first round of petitioning, some amendments have been made to the HS2 Bill and these are known as ‘additional provisions’. We are now up to the 4th set of amendments ( AP4s) and these
petitions for Hillingdon are being heard next week.
You can follow the developments and watch live appearances from residents in Ickenham, Harefield and Hillingdon Council this coming week on Monday 25th January HERE
You can use the same link to keep up with all the remaining petitions from the whole route.
Our fight to extend the Ruislip Tunnel hasn’t ended. HAHS2 will continue to push for this further mitigation and our MPs Nick Hurd and Boris Johnson support our calls for more to be done to protect
our local environment and continue to put pressure on Government.
Once the House of Commons Select Committee have finished hearing all the petitions from the whole route,we have the option to progress our case to The House of Lords.
Boris Johnson
As you will be aware Boris Johnson has taken over from Sir John Randall as MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip. Whilst Boris, as Mayor of London,was already aware of the main issues affecting his constituency and those
affecting Hillingdon as a whole, HAHS2 have made it a priority to establish a good relationship with him so that we can continue to communicate regularly with him on HS2 matters. We have had several meetings with him
the most recent being on January 8th.
 
You can read about his visit to Ruislip HERE
See a report and photo gallery on the Get West London News site HERE
Each time we meet, we feel he gets a better understanding of all the ongoing concerns we have about HS2 but it would really help, if he’s your MP for you to contact him to keep the pressure on.
 
Likewise please also keep writing to Nick Hurd MP if you are a constituent in Ickenham or Harefield.  
 
Complaint about HS2Ltd?
If you have had any direct contact or communication with HS2Ltd that you are unhappy about, you have an opportunity to make a complaint.
Please see details HERE submissions must be made by 11th Feb 
Public Event
We have had advance notice form HS2Ltd that they will be holding an information event on 8th March in Ickenham. This will be a one off event to cover the whole of the affected areas including Ruislip and Harefield.
Please save the date and make an effort to come along if you can.
Ickenham Village Hall – Swakeleys Road, Ickenham from 2.00pm – 7.00pm
HAHS2 will be aiming to have an alternative information stand outside the event. Please see our Website and Facebook page for more details nearer the time.
What Next ?
The next major event on the calendar for 2016 is the Mayoral election in May.
HAHS2 are aiming to meet with all the candidates – as we did last time around! We shall be trying to highlight HS2 as an election issue – but we need your help!
Ways to Help
Please take some time to contact some of the Mayoral candidates and let them know how important an issue HS2 is, and we will aim to keep you updated on their positions.
Labour        Sadiq Khan             london@labour.org.uk                   @sadiqkhan
Cons           Zac Goldsmith        zac@zacgoldsmith.com                 @ZacGoldsmith
Lib Dem      Caroline Pidgeon   caroline@carolinepidgeon.org        @CarolinePidgeon
Green          Sian Berry              http://www.sianberry.london/          @sianberry
UKIP           Peter Whittle           www.peterwhittle.co.uk/contact      @prwhittle
Petition to sign
You will all be aware of how catastrophic the flooding in the north of the UK was over the Christmas period.
This latest petition deserves much more attention than it’s getting. Please add your name to it but also share it far and wide with friends,family and work colleagues across the country.
Stop HS2 and Invest in Long Term Flood Defences   https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/117184
Funding 
We are very grateful for all the donations we have received in the past and much of the progress that has been made over the last few years could not have happened without your generosity.
Please do think about making a donation if you can.
If you can contribute in any small way,donations will be gratefully received either by Paypal on our website by clicking the donate button HERE
Or by sending a cheque to Hillingdon Against HS2: 8 Almond Close,Ruislip,HA46EB
You can also help raise funds really easily- FOR FREE! as you do your everyday shopping on-line
Please register HERE
 
Once again,many thanks for your continued support and interest.
Ruislip and Hillingdon Against HS2

 

Minutes of the last SRRA Quarterly Meeting held 22nd July 2015

The minutes are below.  Good meeting!

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association

Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church Hall On Wednesday July 22nd 2015

In attendance were 53 residents and 11 committee members.  Councillors present Eddie Lavery, Allan Kauffman & Judy Kelly.

Apologies were received from: Cllr Jem Duducu, Michael White and Teji Barnes and committee member Francis Jones

1.0  Opening Remarks & Welcome & Matters Arising from the Minutes & Signed Minutes.

 2.0  ARLA

Judgement in favour of building the ARLA development and against Sainsburys.  Sid had asked Sainsbury’s if they will appeal against the judge’s decision.  Said that they wouldn’t.  Development feted to start early September.

3.0  Newsletter in New Format

Thank you for the new format Lynne.

Amendments Stonefield Park, more detail requested on the litter pick, which goes ahead on the 15th August 2015 meeting at 10am starting at South Ruislip Library.

Full Colour newsletters – Prize if you get one!

3.1 Rats / Sainsburys

Pest Control in Sainsbury’s – rats reported, keen to have litter removed.  This has been reported to the council.

4.0  HS2

In agreement with the SRRA, Cllr Allan Kauffman presented at HS2 hearing in London.  As we were only there to discuss mitigation rather than the principle of HS2, main concerns raised over the digging in the ARLA site and the vent shaft, the volume of traffic with 200 lorries a day leaving the site.

Second issue with closing Station Approach, West End Road, Bridgewater Road and Long Drive.  Lynne and Allan counted the businesses there 91 businesses affected then there is the LIDL, B&M, housing, so more of an issue with traffic.

Concern raised that they are planning this as a paper exercise rather than dealing with realities.  Proposing to access with in one place an location which is currently blocked so asked for a review in more detail.

Allan and Sid have received a letter from the Chair of the committee saying that they will take our concerns into consideration.

5.0 Treasurers Report

Current account £620.74 and reserve £12356.70 as at 30th June.

6.0 Chief Road Steward

Letters were late this time.  Thanks for getting them out on time.

Henry moving South, he will be around for a few months.  Looking for a new person to take over as CRS.

7.0 Police

Henry mentioned talk from victim support.  Voluntary organisation, they will come and support you with assistance.  They are looking for premises in the area.

PCSO’s are finished.  No more coming in future.

Sid recounted his frustration with police, after a HGV delivery driver damaged a number of cars and the police didn’t turn up. Discussion of a lady who was burgled and had a slow response.

Suggestion to write to Nick Downing.  General dissatisfaction.  Ask him to come to the next meeting.  People welcome to write to SRRA if they have had issues where they feel the police have not followed up.

Burglary, lack of contact from the police.  Not enough resources for the police.

8.0       Community Voice

Next meeting in September.  Discussion will be on the transfer of care from Hospitals to the community, especially at GP level.

9.0 RAF Northolt

Sid had a meeting with Ops at RAF meeting.  Nothing has changed from before re the discussion on flight path changes or planes flying over the Mahlon Avenue area.

Biggin Hill have said they have taken legal action against RAF/MOD due to more flights at RAF Northolt.  Sid said that this was a commercial action and not something we would like to be involved with.

One gentleman left the meeting.  Sid commented that it was difficult to mediate between two intractable positions, there is little room for mediation.

10.0 South Ruislip Library

Great children’s section.  Members extolled the virtues.  Great service getting in books, quiz.  Much more than just collection point for new recycling bags.  Recycling bags can also be ordered from the council on a standing order basis and they deliver each quarter.

11.0 Lorries

11.1 HGV Access to South Ruislip Estate

Large lorries rumbling around the area an issue.  Seeing more and more on The Fairway and Long Drive.  Look at estate having a 7.5 ton limit, except for access.  Roads – drop Allan a line to have more signs on local streets.  Sign in middle of road for Torcross, too late.

11.2 South Ruislip Bridge

Notices and restrictions.  Three hits on the South Ruislip Bridge recently. What can be done to improve the safety of the access.

Cllr Kauffman suggested the council will look at spending Section 106 and SIL contribution from the ARLA money on the site to improve the bridge so it becomes an asset but there are a number of warning devices and signs up already.  One gentleman commented that his van was detected as being over height but was well under the limit..

12.0 Beautiful South Ruislip

12.1 Chamber of Commerce South Ruislip

Sid apologised to Lynne for not being invited to talk at the last meeting on the subject of   Beautiful South Ruislip. Working on getting members for a chamber of commerce so they can act as a group, especially with the commercial threats from ASDA as well as Sainsburys.

12.2 Rover/MG site, Victoria Road

The site at Rover/MG site is being cleared, concern about rubbish at the site but it’s starting to be cleared.  Lidl going for planning permission for their store.

12.3 Victoria Road, Parking/Red Route

Victoria Road, parking up causing traffic flow issues.  Discussed possible Red line route status for the road.

13.0 Stonefield Park

Elaine Haynes:  Playing area is breaking up, rubber matting will be sorted for the 28th July, would like it renewed altogether though.

14.0 Any Other Business

14.1 South Ruislip Bike Parking

Cycle chain to rail at South Ruislip on the bike.  To be removed.

14.2 Proposed Zebra Crossing on Victoria Road

Refused, no further action.  Suggestion of barriers being put in place to flow people to the crossing.  Cllr Kelly would look at that.

14.3 Long Drive Rubbish

Complaint from residents about rubbish being left out too early and on the wrong days that foxes are opening and spreading.  Cllr Kelly said that she would look into this.  [Added at time writing minutes: Judy wrote to advise that the council leafleted the area informing residents of responsibilities and correct process]

14.4 Bin Collection/Recycling

Dissatisfaction expressed bin collection and spreading of mess.  Also leaving green waste bags in the road.  Tightening up needed.

14.5 Ivory Dental Service Bin

Reminder of request for reason why that was removed made of Cllr Kauffman.

15.0 Meeting Closed

 

Ruislip Against HS2 – Newsletter 44

Dear Supporters,
 
The campaign against HS2 reached it’s 5th anniversary on March 11th this year. It has been a very long and tiring time!
 
Whilst we have still yet to Stop HS2, HAHS2 are very proud of our achievements over the last few years and the difference our campaign has made.HAHS2 have had countless public events and meetings to help raise awareness,protested and lobbied in Parliament and endlessly kept the pressure on anyone connected to the project. Supported by you, we have brought the plight of Hillingdon to the attention of the media,public and parliament.
We have secured a tunnel for the Ruislip section of the route, saving many homes and businesses from demolition and unimaginable disruption.We have helped improve the compensation scheme for some, contributed to court cases and attended endless meetings with MPs HS2Ltd, and other organisations,on your behalf.We have supported residents from across Harefield Ickenham,West to South Ruislip and will be continuing to help those affected by HS2 with the petitioning process when it resumes in June.
 
HEATHROW SPURS
HAHS2 are now pleased to also share our latest achievement. The Heathrow section of the route which has been ‘on hold’ for so long, has finally been scrapped. The announcement was made very quietly, just days before parliament dissolved but a verbal assurance was given to Nick Hurd MP in a debate on HS2 on 25th March,by rail minister Robert Goodwill. You can watch the full debate HERE, contributions from Sir John Randall and Nick Hurd.
You can see the news report including comment from HAHS2 HERE  We will now be working hard to make this assurance binding, by getting the Heathrow spurs removed from the wording of the HS2 Hybrid Bill.
We are delighted by this news as we have long argued that this section of the route made no sense and had no business case.Our continued pressure on our local MPs, Boris Johnston and TFL has paid off. The implications are far more reaching than just scrapping the unnecessary connection that would have cost millions.The blight caused by uncertainty of the plans has now been removed.Whilst the link wasn’t due to be built until the second stage of the project in 2026, the ‘passive provisions’ ie. the junctions that would have facilitated it, would have been part of the first phase of construction.Without these junctions, Hillingdon are in a much stronger position to argue for the extension of the Northolt tunnel from Ruislip through Ickenham. This mitigation will be the main thrust of our requests to the Select Committee during the next round of petitioning and, if we are successful, the changes will significantly reduce some of the major disruption to Ickenham and Harefield.
 
PETITIONING
Petitioners from Harefield were heard by the Select Committee in March and made some very detailed and powerful presentations. The petitioning process has been suspended now until after the General Election and a new Government is formed.You can find more information about the Select Committee and transcripts from the hearings so far HERE
We have provisional dates for the rest of Hillingdon’s petitions to be heard, starting with LBH from mid June, who will be followed by representations from Ickenham and then Ruislip
HAHS2 are currently working hard with LBH and resident groups to prepare in earnest for our next appearances.
A series of meetings and workshops are ongoing to help assist anyone who has petitioned. If you have submitted a petition and you haven’t attended any of meetings or haven’t already been in touch, please contact us so we are aware of your petition ( and number) and we can extend some support, advice, and forward you the slides from the workshops.
GENERAL ELECTION
Incase you hadn’t heard there’s going to be an election on 7th May!
Local candidates from all parties are out and about all looking to secure your vote, please let them know how important an issue HS2 is. It would be great if you could get in touch with all your Parliamentary candidates to express your view of HS2.  On Twitter, please use the hashtags, #ge2015, #hs2 and any local hashtags.
Because HS2 is so important to some voters, STOPHS2 have launched the “We won’t vote for any party that supports HS2” campaign.  You can download the posters from their website  – and display them in your window.
We’ve been reading the manifestos of the main UK political parties to let you know what they have to say on HS2 – full details are on the Stop HS2 website stophs2.org.
Conservatives, Labour, LibDem and the SNP all express support for HS2 in their manifestos.
Political parties that oppose HS2 include the Green Party and UKIP.
HAHS2 have attended 2 recent hustings for the Uxbridge and South Ruislip constituency to hear what each of the hopeful local MPs had to say about HS2. So here’s a brief overview of each party.
You can see a full list of candidates HERE with links to contact them.
CONSERVATIVE  – BORIS JOHNSON             Says he’s the strongest candidate to help mitigate HS2 in London more. Won’t support it without a better plan for Euston,link to HS1 or an extended Northolt tunnel through Ickenham.
LABOUR               – CHRIS SUMMERS            Says he would defy party policy and vote against HS2 and would fight for better mitigation.He wants HS2 scrapped and money spent on better NHS and Hillingdon Hospital.
LIB DEM                – MIKE COX                        Says route is wrong and that it should follow the M1. He is personally in strong favour of HS2 as well as following party line in support.
UKIP                     –  JACK DUFFIN                  Says he wants to see HS2 scrapped altogether as per party policy. UKIP would call for a referendum to allow the public to vote on HS2.
GREEN                 –  GRAHAM LEE                 Says mitigation is not enough, wants HS2 scrapped as per party policy. Thinks trains and platforms should be lengthened with improvements to WCML.
INDEPENDENT    – JENNIFER THOMPSON  Says mitigation and tunnels are not enough or acceptable and HS2 must be scrapped.
We have less information from the Ruislip, Pinner and Northwood constituency which also covers Ickenham and Harefield but there is an upcoming hustings, information HERE and a full list of candidates HERE with links to contact them.
CONSERVATIVE  – NICK HURD  Says he can’t support current HS2 proposals because of the cost to the constituency.Compensation is still not fair enough.Will vote against it at next stage unless we get the mitigation we are petitioning for.
LABOUR               – MICHAEL BORIO       Says he will vote against the current route.
LIB DEM               – JOSH DIXON              Says he supports HS2 but we need to go further in ensuring protection for residents like extra tunnelling and better compensation.
 
 
 
UKIP                     – GERRARD BARRY     Says HS2 has to be scrapped as it has no business case.
GREEN                 – KAREN PILLAI            Says she opposes the HS2 project as wasteful and unnecessary and recognise the negative impact it would have in the south of the borough.
AFTER THE ELECTION
In two weeks time, we will need to let a new set of MPs know about the problems with HS2.  We have some plans for immediately after the election, although exactly what we do will depend on the results. The Stop HS2 website and the@stophs2 twitter account will be updated with plans when they are ready.
HAHS2 will be supporting any event organised and we hope you will join us.
Keep in touch via our Website and FaceBook Page for details nearer the time.
FUNDING
We are very grateful for all the donations we have received recently and much of the progress that has been made over the last few years could not have happened without your generosity.
Please do think about making a donation if you can.
If you can contribute in any small way, donations will be gratefully received either via Paypal on our website by clicking the donate button HERE or by sending cheques to Hillingdon Against HS2 to: 8 Almond Close, Ruislip , HA46EB
 
You can also help raise funds really easily – FOR FREE! as you do your everyday shopping online – please register HERE
Once again,many thanks for your continued interest and support.
 
Ruislip and Hillingdon Against HS2
 
 
 
You have been included in this email update from details you have provided 
us with.Please be assured that your details will be used for this purpose
only and no other. Email addresses will not be passed on to anyone else.If
you no longer wish to be included on our email list, please reply with
UN-SUBSCRIBE in the subject title. 
 
Attachments area