Lively meeting on Wednesday with updates from our local Police, a comprehensive presentation from HS2 representatives and Sqn Ldr Tenniswood from RAF Northolt.
South Ruislip Residents’ Association (established in 1939)
Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday 23rd January 2019.
- Opening Remarks.
- Apologies for Absence.
- Minutes of Meeting.
- Matters Arising.
- Reports: Chairman, Treasurer, CRS, Secretary.
- Reports from Ward Councillors.
- Any other Business
NEXT QUARTERLY MEETING ON 23rdh January 2019 AT ST MARY’S CHURCH HALL THE FAIRWAY 8 PM
- Opening Remarks
Vice Chairman Sid Jackson chaired and opened the meeting at 8pm. Sid welcomed everyone to the meeting.
In attendance were 54 residents and 10 committee members. Councillors present Cllrs Teji Barnes, Allan Kauffman & Cllr Steve Tuckwell & Eddie Lavery
Sid introduced the new constitution which was printed off and distributed with 50 copies for voting at the AGM.
- Apologies for absence
Apologies were received from Lynne Kauffman
No comments on the minutes
PC & PCSO Anne-Marie talked through the crime figures as attached. 226 crimes. Anne-Marie highlighted break-in of motor vehicles being high and preventable. Burglary higher at the moment – with thieves attracted by new goods from Christmas. Be secure – put on a radio in the day as well as timer lights.
Discussed the benefits of Smart Water in use of crime prevention.
Anne-Marie asked about OWL and was encouraging people to use the system as a strong form of Neighbourhood Watch. https://www.owl.co.uk/met/
5.0 Treasurers Report
Current account £451.90 and deposit £13,378.75. Income and expenditure will be published for 2018 at the AGM next meeting.
6.0 Chief Road Steward
Please with the number of RS’s and only one more RS sought.
Presentation from Grant Blowers, engagement Graham Dean Power Supplies.
The engagement team are to engage with local councillors, residents associations, residents etc. They are getting more staff to deal with issues. They will hold drop-in clinics every week in the area (although not in S Ruislip). Recommended residents to sign up to www.hs2inhillingdon.commonplace.is There is also a help desk 08081 434 434.
Power for the TBM
Stan on the Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM). The main issue is the electricity requirement which will come from a substation at North Harrow. Stan provided an update on the Power Supply route which needs to be dug to supply the electric. Needs a heavy power supply 33kv and 20MVA (1MVA powers 250 domestic properties). The cable will power the lighting and ventilation post build.
The route will go along residential streets as will minimise disruption vs main roads which they were considering.
They will dig a trench approx. 1.5m x 1.6m holding the cables. Roadworks in affected roads will last from 2 to 4 weeks.
Roads in Hillingdon affected are:
Rushdene Road, Deane Croft Road, Meadow Way, Hawthorne Avenue, Lime Grove, Myrtle Avenue, The Uplands, Westholme Gardens, Manor Way, Midcroft and Ickenham Road.
Work to start Q3 2019 and will last around a year on the cable route.
The drilling of the tunnels will start on West Ruislip and head to Old Oak Common.
SCS Works in South Ruislip
Matthew. Putting a team in place at the moment and turn HS2 scheme into a more detail focused piece of work and they will seek planning permission from the borough councils for the required permits and work. Talked through next stages such as earthworks (2020-2023), civil engineering projects (2019 to 2025) and the railway installation 2024 to 2026.
TBM set to launch around 2021 from West Ruislip.
Discussed the work and impact. There is an impact agreement to minimise disruption to traffic though they will close lanes etc. Discussed the vent shaft at South Ruislip.
Questions from the floor
Any air quality monitoring on the roads due to the lorry movements? Not from HS2 representatives. This is done by the local authority (Hillingdon). They will be using Euro 6 lorries to minimise environmental impact (this is a most recent vehicle requirement). Pressure from the meeting on the councils to monitor.
Noise from the vent shaft? Designed not to do that with fans to cool the tunnel and mitigate the noise.
What is the vent shaft diameter? They would confirm later.
Cllr Kauffman raised concern re the lorry movement along busy roads and the damage caused.
Further questions discussed.
We will invite people from HS2 again to speak later in the year. The update was appreciated.
8.0 RAF Northolt
Sq Ldr James Tenniswood.
It needs resurfacing, last done in 1977. Needs to be repaired to continue as a military airport. The runway will close between April and October. It will be dug out completely and will be drained properly and improve the arrester beds. Work delayed as the previous contractor was Carrillian who went into receivership.
The runway will remain the same size but at pains to point out it might look slightly longer due to the increased size of the arrester bed.
How will the closure affect the air traffic at the site? They will operate operation Bolthole. Flights Rotary will come in. Fixed wing will move to RAF Benson who will be flown to there via helicopter. Commercial flights will move elsewhere but will resume post build.
Dept of Transport mandated requirement to get improved use from the air space. Use old technology at the moment and will use GPS to make faster routes. RAF Northolt will be doing the same exercise later in the year.
RAF Northolt won’t be affected by Heathrow’s proposed plan.
Phone in sightings. Follow the drone code.
9.0 Pedestrian Crossing
Sid wrote to the council. There is a lack of people stopping and a couple of complaints locally. Anything we can do to improve matters. Got an email back from the Traffic Team with a photo on a clear day and no buses present and how to use the zebra crossing is used. Sid was disappointed.
The culvert at Lidl site on Victoria Road is being improved.
Keen to make the crossings more visible.
Concern raised re the length of time waiting for crossings to change when initially pressed.
10.0 Victoria Road
A number of consultations have taken place and have put in another from Victoria Road to the Black Bull to keep the traffic moving. Purely traffic management only.
Meeting Closed at 9:55pm.