Countdown to Christmas at the South Ruislip Library

Have you heard about the fantastic opportunity to visit Hillingdon Councils living advent calendar?

It starts on 1st December at Uxbridge High Street at 6pm.

All the libraries are taking part and there are some fabulous ticketed events across the borough every day up to 24th December

In our wonderful South Ruislip Library…

When our door is opened on at 4.15pm 6th December, please come and join in the singing and carols with Bourne School Choir, feast on delicious free Christmas biscuits and drinks and dip into our bran tub for a Christmas tree decoration for your own Christmas tree.

For details, see Nov/Dec Hillingdon People or the Hillingdon Library website..

Boundary Review: What is right for South Ruislip?

The boundary review is a national review aiming to bring MP’s constituency size to a more uniform, and reduce the number of MP’s and has recommended changes which could affect South Ruislip and the wards that make up the seat.

Boundary Change Review 2018 Overview

Cavendish and South Ruislip wards which the SRRA covers, currently form a constituency with Uxbridge.  And that has changed in recent times. However the boundary review is proposing a change to include with the Hillingdon and Uxbridge constituency the Ealing wards of Northolt West End and Northolt Mandeville.

Boundary Change Proposal
Boundary Change Proposal

We see our MP’s being better able to represent us when they come under one council, namely the London Borough of Hillingdon and not tagged on with a small part of Ealing to make up the numbers.

Thus we support the council’s counter proposal of a seat which includes other parts of Ruislip.

Boundary Change Counter Proposal

For a more detailed discussion of the debate on the boundary change it may well be worth watching the recent Council meeting from early November where this is debated.

Skip to 58 minutes for this part but being able to see local democracy in action is well worth a watch.

These are our thoughts but whether you agree or disagree we would encourage you as local residents to let the boundary commission know what your feelings are on the subject.

Closing dates for submissions are the 5th December so get cracking.

Submissions to the Boundary Commission are very easy to leave using  their website www.bce2018.org.uk/

 

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday October 26th 2016

 

srra-logo-hr

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday 26th  October 2016

20161026_200122

In attendance were 58 residents and 10 committee members.  Councillors present Cllr Kelly, White and Barnes. Apologies were received from: Cllr Kaufmann, Cllr Lavery, Cllr Duducu, Geoff Taylor, Iris Ellis and Hazel Hook.

crowd

1.0  Meeting Opened 20:02.

Minutes signed off.

2.0  Long Drive Traffic Lights.

Discussion on why the council notice in the Gazette mentioning long closures was somewhat overstated and with the use of TFL temporary lights contractors were able to keep the traffic lights operational minimising disruption.

collecting-road-stewards-subs
Taking Subs collected by the Road Stewards

3.0  Treasurers Report.

Balance £26.24.  Reserve £13,364.57

4.0  Secretary Report

Nothing to report

5.0  ARLA Development to ASDA, Cinema and Restaurants

The site is coming along.

Main issue is the West Mead turning.  Part of the problem is the lack of a right turn into West Mead.  Need a sign to say earlier no right turn into West Mead.  Also suggest change the keep clear to yellow box. Also issues with visibility at Angus Drive.

Sid and Cllr Kelly encouraged people to write to the council with their thoughts.  Write to Steve Austin; saustin@hillingdon.gov.uk

Residents on Victoria Road annoyed by people doing three point turns in order to go back to access West Mead..

getting-ready-for-the-meeting
Waiting for the meeting to open

6.0  LIDL

The second request for planning permission relating to expansion was on planning rota. However it was withdrawn as a petition was raised from a place of worship on the site.  So the application was put on hold whilst being considered.  However the place of worship doesn’t have planning permission.  The place of worship has been submitted with a change of use.  This may be refused.  It could follow the site is unsuitable given they have had to petition with safety concerns.

7.0  HS2

Vote in parliament so likely HS2 to go through.  HS2 action alliance now pushing on fair compensation.

Spoil will come out of the tunnels to the east or west.  Not via S Ruislip.  Technology will be the same as Crossrail for creating the tunnels.

talking-over-tea

8.0  Youth Centre

Now has a permanent Manager.  Putting a program together and so will come in January and talk to us about an update then.

9.0  Christmas Lights In South Ruislip

Bid in for them.  Lamp posts needed but as changing we will get much more.  Much more to follow next year.

thanks-jeremy-i-love-my-photo-taken
Sid Jackon, Vice Chair SRRA

10.0  Great Central Avenue / Great Central House

Planning application in for the expansion of the site.  Want to see if can defer as waiting to see about the unit growing too quick too quickly.

Raise a petition.  In planning you need to object on planning grounds.  There is concern about amenity space;  Lack of space for prams, egress safety grounds and a lack of parking spaces and rubbish provision.

animated-discussion-from-don
Animated Discussion from Don

11.0  South Ruislip Chamber of Commerce

From Lynne Kauffman; Taken two years to get people together to improve the shopping centre.  All the changes in the area have consolidated their efforts. Committee formed and looking forward.

Lynne thanked for her sterling efforts in driving this forward.

tea-break

12.0  SKLP

Matters look to be under control. But as ever need to watch going forward. Had to inform police of the events. Last year people were parking on the A40 slip road.

Concern over the location of parking on the SKLP site, which this last time was near to the residents in Harvey Road.

13.0 Brackenbridge House

Slip road full of garage cars and Corsa’s being sold. Going to put a one hour parking restriction in place.

14.0      Royal Crescent Alley Way

It is houses responsibility – but Cllr Kaufmann as arranged to resurface on the 10th or 12th of December.

15.0 Boundary Changes Proposed

Plan to change wards.  Agreed at meeting to support Hillingdon’s counter proposal.  We will post details on the website.

cllr-kelly

16.0  AOB

16.1  Request to return the bench outside the bus stop at ALDI. The bin has been replaced.

16.2  Victoria Road concern with parking issues all along the area from Aldi to the Manor. Petition raised. Council say they can’t do anything until the work for the ARLA site is done. However we have encouraged them to start the planning work.

16.3  When complete there is money to repave the pavements around junction of Victoria Road and Long Drive.

16.4  Waste bins outside shops in South Ruislip are over flowing on Monday morning.

16.5  Discussion on policing in South Ruislip.

16.6  Over height turn back sign causing delay at the South Ruislip Bridge.

16.7  Discussion on Sensor kits. We have monitoring in the West End Road.

16.8  Upgrade of Stonefield Park play facilities renewal. Letter to say work deferred until 2017/2018. Elaine has complained and asked for temporary works at least.

16.9  13th November invitation to the residents to join a service of remembrance. All welcome 10.30am at the Polish War Memorial.

Meeting Closed.

Temporary Road Closure: Long Lane and Victoria Road

Long Drive / Victoria Road Junction Road Works

Did you see the Gazette with the planning notice for 18 months at Long Drive / Victoria Road? That will be interesting….

We have phoned the council today and asked them to clarify further details – what the timescale will be and is this ARLA or HS2 related (assume ARLA), what works are being done and have also asked South Ruislip Cllr Allan Kauffman for any information on this one.

Will post more when we learn more from them.

** UPDATE 30.09.2016 16:00 **

Spoke to an officer from LB Hillingdon who was good enough to give us an update. The works are for and as a result of the ARLA site, but basically the Traffic Lights and islands at the junction of Victoria Road and Long Drive aren’t up to the job so are going to be replaced. This won’t come as a shock to many of us.

It’s going to be quicker and less painful in the long term to do the work over the half term than mess around with temporary lights. LBH want to cover themselves in case the work over runs hence the fairly standard request for access for 18 months rather than the week possibly required. TFL are concerned that it will run into a second week so that remains a distinct possibility.

The lights are the responsibility of TLF (Hillingdon don’t control any lights themselves).

I asked whether they would be ‘intelligent lights’. The officer said that they would be an improvement especially in the information that they can send and receive back from TFL. But I would add you can only funnel as much traffic into Long Drive/Station Approach as it will take.

Hope you know a little more about this now.

 

Will LIDL get planning permission for their expanded store?

4-10-2016-lidl

In their quest to build a LIDL supermarket on the Comet/Rover site in Victoria Road, after gaining planning permission last year LIDL purchased more land which become available and need new planning permission.

After some delays they are going in front of the planning committee on the 4th October 6pm, Committee room 8 at the Civic Centre in Uxbridge.  Either for or against the proposal you are welcome to attend the public meeting.

ARLA / AVIVA Sites Junction with Victoria Road and West Mead

This concerns the junction outside the new B&M Homestores / Aldi, with the work ongoing.  This Facebook post from Brian Dazley sums up the issue and Brian’s concerns…

West End Road Victoria Road

We have approached our local councillors… here was South Ruislip Cllr Judy Kelly’s follow up to council traffic officers.

“I received the attached email today complaining about the confusing lay out of the junction of West Mead with Victoria Road.and I would totally agree with the comments

When these plans were first drawn up and shown to local councillors Cllr. Kaufman and I booked an appointment with the traffic officers to object to the ‘no right turn’ out of West Mead.  We pointed out that as there is already a ‘no right’ turn coming from Long Drive it would turn many of the side roads into ‘rat runs’ as they would become the only means of turning right into Victoria Road.

At this meeting it was agreed that although the traffic lights were to be moved it would still be possible to make a right turn out of West Mead yet it is very unclear how to do this as there are obstacles straight in front so one has to drive partially along the wrong side of the road before getting onto the correct carriageway.  it is indeed a very dangerous situation.  Can this be rectified as a matter of urgency please.”

We will feedback as we hear more, however if you have concerns it is well worth also phoning the council 01895 250111 and leaving feedback for them on this issue directly.  The more people that contact the more likely they are to reply urgently.

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday July 27th 2016

In attendance were 45 residents and 9 committee members.  Councillors present Cllr Alan Kaufmann. Apologies were received from: Frances Jones, Margaret Wallis, Cllr Kelly and Cllr Duducu

1 .0   Meeting Opened 20:02

Minutes signed off.  Item 3. Pedestrian access.  Walkway to be open when the commercial site is opened for access from Long Drive.

2.0   Police

Update from Ward Sgt James Burgess. Many moves in the Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) for South Ruislip.  Insp Rob Bryan has been promoted to Chief Inspector in charge of SNT’s.  Sgt Burgess has three constables, new and all keen and adept.  Sgt Burgess has been in the police for thirteen years. Mostly in neighbourhoods.  Ward Sgt for 8 weeks.

Complaints about Field End Rd, Paddock Road, drug use.  3 drugs arrests including 70 wraps of heroin.  Also cannabis.  Also complaints in The Fairway.  Vehicle and knife seized.  Sgt Burgess said that they were successes as a result of information from residents, so please inform the police.  They want more information.  Personally to the SNT, by dialling 101, twitter and email. Don’t mind the route, just get them the information about local criminal activity.

Burglary figures.  In May, 11 down to 2 in June.  In a recent case a burglary was started, the alarm went off and the burglar was scared away by alarm.  First break in for a while.  The message from the police is take sensible precautions and reduce your risk.

One gentleman asked about cycling on pavements which Sgt Burgess explained was an issue he was hot on.

Discussed children riding on bikes recklessly in Queens Walk and Mount Pleasant.  Cllr Kauffman mentioned Kings College as a good diversion for attention and hinted at plans for South Ruislip for BMX course/skateboarding and things of that ilk. “Watch this space”.

No plans to reopen the satellite police station on The Runway in South Ruislip.  But plans locally to improve visibility of police by walking in the ward. Aim to be on the ward for shifts including on late shifts up to midnight.

Brackenbridge.  Issues with kids on motorbikes.  The police have seen this as well whilst walking in parks near West End Road and Bridgewater Road in the field.  Comments that they were gathering in White Butts.

Complaint about a noisy motorbike in the area.  Details taken by the police.

3.0   RAF Northolt

Hannah OC Operations and Squadron Leader James Tenniswood, Media and communications officer.

Round up of recent occurrences.  There are two thousand people on the unit.  The looked after the spare for Marine One which was brought in by C17.  They have been involved with Exercise Griffon Strike in Cornwall, taking senior MOD and ministers there via helicopter to watch the drill.

Keeping them most busy – flights for Senior Ministers and Royal Family.  Parliament in recess so a little quieter.  But there have been a lot of short notice flights recently.

Also they site the two helicopters for London Air Ambulance.  Their flying times are limited by sunlight.

Flight safety.  Concern about local drones activity.  Need users to stick to the CAA regulations.

Lasers.  Being shone on planes are a risk to the sight of pilots.  There are hotspots for lasers use in Field End Road and Long Drive.

Wingfield Way.  Hedges cant be cut at the moment due to nesting season.  Not cut April to July.  Can do it in August and they will do.

The station was awarded Station of the Year by RAF Benevolent fund, for raising funds, £53,000 for this charity and raised £230,000 in a year for all the charities.

Questions about a quirky and noisy plane which was identified as a Piago airplane.  Belongs to Italian air staff.

Comments that there are a lot of helicopter movements at the moment.  The RAF representatives said they felt the number of movements for them was low, but there the base has a helicopter lane route over RAF Northolt.  Apart from exercises not many there really.  Just fly over head.

Maintenance on runway to take place in the next two years.  But waiting and don’t know when.  It will close for 6-9 months for fixed wing aircraft.

Comment from the floor about Project ARC meaning RAF Northolt could take up to 50,000 movements at year. 12,000 cap per year is the remit subject to ministerial approval.

Operational tempo meant that the RAF Northolt open day is a staff only event.  However in 2017 the idea is a community open day so there will be a focus on local people getting tickets rather than plane/RAF buffs.  They will advise more at the next RAF/community meeting.

4.0   Reports Treasurer

Current account £329.24 and deposit account £13,362.89 in reserve at 25th July 2016.  Outstanding £140 for a newsletter and ID tags £15.

5.0   Chief Road Steward

Thanked the Road Stewards.  Vacancies for Exmouth Road (40) Queens Walk (22) West End Road (12).  Discussed Lanyard’s.  The lanyard was the expensive part of the fit out.

Mahlon Avenue & Hardy Avenue did not receive a newsletter from Kate.  Discussed the routine of the newsletters going out.

Geoff reiterated the need for up to date list of houses and the roads.

6.0   Ward Councillor – Allan Kauffman

Rubbish Bins.  Spate of domestic waste in waste bins.

Roads to resurfaced Brackenbridge Road, Abbots close, Down Barnes, White Butts and Stafford Road.  Next challenge is the pavements.  First is Long Drive.

Green Flags – most awards in Hillingdon in the country.  Awarded to parks for amenity and trees. Very proud of Hillingdon’s Green spaces and this award.

Bridge at South Ruislip Station Approach: Looking for a proposal from officers to improve the immediate area of the bridge, passed to TFL for £350,000.  Ruislip Manor work cost £11 Million.

Complaints about weeds on Rydal Way. Sent photos to Cllr Judy Kelly.   Comment on weed sprayer on a quad bike, being done at speed so possibly ineffective.

Complaint about bridge and pigeons at Ruislip Gardens.

7.0   Lidl

Lidl will be on major planning on 24th August.  Recommended for approval. Watch for the details on the website.  One of the issues was with Benson’s for Beds delay as an island in the car park.  Plan to open by end of March next year

8.0 ARLA Site

Cited to open one week before Easter.

Shopkeepers in The Fairway complained about spaces being taken up being used for spoil. Parking spaces to be returned for customer use from Allan.

Have started the road widening.

9.0   HS2

Action Alliance against HS2.  Cost currently £55 Billion.  Spent £1 and a quarter billion with nothing to show for it.  We believe part of Europe wide high speed rail link, but this idea is broken in London anyway.  Expected downturn in the economy and so anti groups are hoping HS2 might be a casualty.

Meeting Closed.

Macmillan Coffee Morning – Saturday 1st October 10am to Noon Eastcote Methodist Church

Lynne Kauffman, Editor of the SRRA Newsletter has mentioned that her church at Eastcote Methodist Church are organising a coffee morning on Saturday 1st October ten till twelve, for Macmillan.  The church is one of the lovely buildings in Pamela Gardens.

From Lynne….

” Please join us again this year on 1st October 2016 for our amazing Macmillan morning

From: :10-12 noon

At: Eastcote Methodist Church, Pamela Gardens Eastcote HA5 2QU

Delicious Coffee , tea or soft drinks, Sensational cakes and cookies.  Lots of gifts to buy, games to play.  Plus ‘Kiddies’ corner

Amazing company – especially if you join us!!”

If you are there for a coffee and a cake, it might be a good chance afterwards to take a quick walk round Eastcote House Gardens which is very close and might help to burn off a few cake based calories.  Only lived in South Ruislip for seventeen years and not got round there myself yet!

Eastcote Methodist Church Macmillan Morning 1st October
Last years organising committee

Anyone who has had support from Macmillan will know their fantastic work.

Website back up!

Not sure if sleeping or just dead

This is the kind of post that dying websites make.  You see it so frequently on blogs.  Months pass since the last post and then one which says yes we are back and going to post on a regular basis, and that is normally made three years ago with nothing else added!

We have had technical issues with the site after a change of hosts was forced on us after a data back up failure.

But those are now past us (that will put the kiss of death on it!) and we look forward to sharing the SRRA news with you!

Jeremy

 

 

The website of the South Ruilsip Residents Association