Category Archives: Police

Minutes from July Quarterly Meeting

We have just posted the minutes from the last quarterly in July.  Plenty happening in the area with HS2 and news on the field opposite Field End School on Field End Road.  No more Thunderpark!

The minutes can be found over here.

Sorry for the delay in getting them out this time!

Hillingdon Borough Police Stations: Shut Ruislip, Shut Uxbridge All goes to Hayes! What do you think? Have your say!

Only a few days left to respond to the MOPAC (Mayors Office for Policing and Crime) initiative to move reduce costs and add efficiency by closing police stations and leaving the only remaining police station in Hayes on the Uxbridge Road.

The attached SWOT analysis was completed by residents who attended the MOPAC meeting at the Civic Centre recently.

As we see it the closures of Police Stations will present a real problem as it’s proposed the only station we will be left with is in Hayes.  Far from ideal to travel to from the North of the borough and there are not great facilities there.

 

The urge to move from Uxbridge seems to be an opportunity to cash in the on the comparative land values in Ruislip, Northwood and Uxbridge compared to Hayes when this does not seem to be focused on what the needs of the populus are.

At the SRRA we are against this idea, due to the difficulty of getting to the Hayes police station site for many residents  and would urge residents to put their thoughts, for or against to MOPAC.

They can be contacted at:

Public Access consultation
The Mayors Office for Policing and Crime
City Hall
The Queens Walk
London SE1 2AA

Closing dates for replies are 6th of October so please get writing.

 

Whats Happening in South Ruislip?: Latest Updates! January 2017

Calling them meeting minutes gets a little dull.  But if you want to know whats happening with Lidl Planning or a devious thief in B&M/ALDI or whether HS2 building has started, it is all below!

In this age of the demise of newsletters it’s probably one of the best sources of local South Ruislip information…

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association

Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday 25th January 2017

In attendance were 52 and 14 committee members.  Councillors present Eddie Lavery, Judy Kelly, Michael White, Allan Kauffman and Teji Barnes.  Henry Neel of Lidl and South Ruislip SNT Sgt James Wright.

Apologies were received for Mrs Val Blacker and SRRA committee member Geoff Taylor.

1.0        Opening Remarks & Welcome & Matters Arising from the Minutes & Signed Minutes. 

2.0          Police  by South Ruislip SNT Sgt James Wright

The meeting was joined by South Ruislip SNT Sgt James Wright.  Discussed recent crime figures with concern over burglary and car crime.  Assaults put down to police recording of even playground scraps where informed.

Burglary the police feel there are two teams operating on the area, one has been disbanded with arrests made and they are working on the second.  They are working in Thames Valley and the Met mixing this up with vehicle crime.

Theft of personal property also high due to retail parks.  Police disappointed B&M and ALDI are not paying for security.  Local police targeting a prolific female thief in B&M/ALDA, with thefts “almost daily”.  Sgt Wright suggested not taking whole bag there only credit cards which can be replaced with little loss.

They are working on the robbery in Victoria Road.  The perpetrators left behind vehicle forensics and items dropped which have created a number of leads for the police but they are waiting on those forensics results.

3.0          LIDL Henry Neel

Have planning consent at committee on the 11th January.  They are discharging planning conditions, agreeing S106 and 278 highway works. The next stage for confirmation of the build is from the Mayors office/ GLA an then Hillingdon will give Lidl formal confirmation.   Approval is expected and they look to start on site April and open by Christmas.

Question regarding S106 spend.  Henry Neel suggested looking online for full report on planning website.  But the exact details of the planned costs are still being agreed with London Borough of Hillingdon officers.

Source Minutes and agenda report pack

Plans for the site can be found here.

4.0          Treasurers Report

As at 30th December 2016 current account  £247.24 Reserve account  £13,365.46.  Full accounts at the AGM but we made a small surplus.

5.0          Chief Road Steward Report

Thank you to Lynne Kauffman for organising with distribution of this month’s newsletter with various members of the committee and to the Road Stewards for their delivery.

We are seeking Road Stewards for Station Approach, Bourne Court, Melthorne Drive, Queens Walk, Queens Walk Terrace, West End Road and Wingfield Way

6.0          ARLA Site

Handed over with fit out expected by May.  Small delay caused by a power cut.

Developers hope to host an open evening event, which we will make open to SRRA meeting attendees, if we can.

Sid keen to look at the cinema as it built so following that closely.

Citygrove has purchased a sculpture which they will unveil.

Bellway housing opening on a different timescale.   The walkway to open linking to Station Approach as the commercial site opens.
7.0          HS2

Looks like it will go ahead.  Work to start at the end of the year.  HS2 forced to reveal data on housing purchase and compensation deals to make a more level playing field for people.

Tunnel from old oak common.

Need to dig up for sewers on Long Drive/Station Approach/Bridgewater Road/West End Road.  Concern the work will take a couple of years rather than just months.  The impact will be massive as Allan pointed out to parliament at HS2 hearing.

8.0          London Green Belt Council

No Issues

9.0          RAF

22nd July is the date for the family day only a little flying.  Circa 8000 tickets, meant to be a local event. £5 adults £3 children.

10.0        Community Voice

Linda typed up the minutes from the last meeting of Community Voice and we will circulate.  [Secretary – see the post here]

11.0        Youth Centre

Update from Allan and Lynne Kauffman.

Now organised by Dettie Quirke (who is running youth centres across the borough) who is actively seeking to regenerate activity for local children and aim to get the children back in with a series of targeted activities.  Open evening there tonight.  Youth workers will be full time over summer holiday.

“The centre is gradually starting to come back to life.”

On a day to day basis four youth workers at the moment.  Lynne Kaufman confident in roving care taker, Bill who looks to take pride in the centre.

Seeking Youth volunteers.  Dettie Quirke will come and talk to us at a future date.

12.0        Improving South Ruislip

After hearing a rumour from Sainsburys staff at SR that the store might close, Sid rang the David Mills Property Manager who said that it was a good store, trading well and not closing. Sid asked him about improving the store, and offered some suggestions and he will hopefully come back to us.

From Cllr Allan Kauffman.  Looked with officers at the parade as the area looks poor compared to the modern Dairy Development.  The trees to be pollarded or replaced and new pavements with more trees and seating.  Lots of planters by the railings and modular flower display – possibly paid for my SRRA.  Price set to be around £200,000.  Paid on S106 and TFL funds. Should happen in this year.

Concern expressed that once work done it will be dug up again and ruined by work such as HS2 and ARLA in the area.  Sid said that contractors would be obliged to return the site to the same condition.

Good Christmas lights next year.  Asked for green, white and red rather than colder blue and white ones.

Bridge works. Plans drawn up to clad the brickwork, with a higher walkway and better lighting.  Taken up with TFL.  Cost is circa £350,000.  Allan to continue to work on this.

Positive response to road changes at the junction of Long Drive and Victoria Road but request for better signage and consideration for speeding the southerly route onto West End Road from Station Approach.   Discussed difficulty in doing that and the knock on effect of heavy traffic and poor road layout at the Target roundabout.

Cars on Victoria Road, concern with parking both sides of the road.  Looking at changes to either one side of the road or both.  Likely to lose trees but will replant.

13.0        Great Central House, Great Central Avenue Opposite Station.

Aware of planning and councillors aware but it is not on planning schedule as yet.  Concern re overcrowding in the area.  Ex-Fireman expressed concern about buggies etc left in the stairway as it is a means of escape route and should be clear at all times.  Councils responsibility under the regulatory reform order.  It’s a protected route.  Allan said he would follow this up with enforcement officers.

14.0        SR Chamber of Commerce Update

Buying flowers in the parade on Long Drive, Sid asked in the Florist about the chamber of commerce and said that the response was so enthusiastic he was greatly encouraged.

Next meeting of the Chamber in Feb. Plenty of space for meetings without over reliance on the Ramada.  We support and Sid will attend a future meeting. Sanjay chair been trading for 30 years in car repair and we know he is very keen on the area.

Nursery expanding into adjacent buildings with positive trading.

15.0        SKLP

Historically disruptive to neighbours.  Not so bad last year.  Revitalise efforts and awareness amongst police and Hillingdon council officers when close to festival season.

16.0        Brackenbridge House – Slip Road

Corsa being sold from the area.  Illegally running a business.  Plan to block the area with no parking between 10am and 12am to stop vehicles being left there, such as the van advertising the hand car wash which does not seem to have moved in 5 years.  It is also bad for the nursing home at Brackenbridge House.  Parking changes have gone to consultation.

17.0        Alleyway Royal Crescent and Field End Road

Road resurfaced, part of this is due to work by David Seaman campaigning.  Needs bollard placing to stop cars cutting through in a somewhat dangerous fashion.  This element to be done at residents cost by a resident builder.  Resurface work paid for by the Chrysalis fund.

18.0        Boundary Changes

Keen to stay with rest of Ruislip rather than split off with Ealing wards and Hillingdon area.  Lady wrote asking what is happening.  We await the Boundary Commission’s recommendations in due course but it will take a while as due to affect 2020 elections.

19.0        AOB

19.1        Scam Email HMRC 

From Cllr Teji Barnes – Watch out for scam emails which contain promises of tax refunds.  Such as this one.

hmrc-email

19.2 Building to rear of Lidl Columbus House

Allan Kauffman – Bought by a worship group in 2013.  They put in a change of use to change to worship use and a retail use below.  A tiler currently works below.  This was refused for numerous reasons, mainly as an industrial area not for worship.

If they got planning permission it would add traffic and block the road.

[Secretary : It sounded like the application was not formally refused for change of use.]  They’ve also set up marques and events (non-permanent) which we would expect them to hold license for to operate.

Sid wanted to know what they could put in a petition against Lidl who is trying to act correctly legally and they stopped planning (albeit temporarily).  Can’t the council refuse the petition because it comes from a body operating illegally? Why are planning enforcement officers not following this up on it?

Cllr Lavery spoke (as a councillor who chaired the planing committee meetings).  They were presented with a  valid petition (which just needs 20 Hillingdon residents signatures to be valid regardless of anything else) at the meeting but it was never considered or explored as Lidl agreed to make changes to the plan to move things around.  However the committee can only rule on the proposition that is presented not one changed.  Thus the planning decision was deferred.   The meeting did not get further to consider the decision.

Lidl  came back with a revised scheme.

The councillors will follow up on the Columbus House site.  “It is being actively followed up on.”

19.3        Thank you

Thank you for the tea and coffee and the all the help getting the newsletters out.

19.4        Meeting Closed

Next SRRA Quarterly meeting is the AGM Wednesday 26th April 2017

 

 

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday July 27th 2016

In attendance were 45 residents and 9 committee members.  Councillors present Cllr Alan Kaufmann. Apologies were received from: Frances Jones, Margaret Wallis, Cllr Kelly and Cllr Duducu

1 .0   Meeting Opened 20:02

Minutes signed off.  Item 3. Pedestrian access.  Walkway to be open when the commercial site is opened for access from Long Drive.

2.0   Police

Update from Ward Sgt James Burgess. Many moves in the Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) for South Ruislip.  Insp Rob Bryan has been promoted to Chief Inspector in charge of SNT’s.  Sgt Burgess has three constables, new and all keen and adept.  Sgt Burgess has been in the police for thirteen years. Mostly in neighbourhoods.  Ward Sgt for 8 weeks.

Complaints about Field End Rd, Paddock Road, drug use.  3 drugs arrests including 70 wraps of heroin.  Also cannabis.  Also complaints in The Fairway.  Vehicle and knife seized.  Sgt Burgess said that they were successes as a result of information from residents, so please inform the police.  They want more information.  Personally to the SNT, by dialling 101, twitter and email. Don’t mind the route, just get them the information about local criminal activity.

Burglary figures.  In May, 11 down to 2 in June.  In a recent case a burglary was started, the alarm went off and the burglar was scared away by alarm.  First break in for a while.  The message from the police is take sensible precautions and reduce your risk.

One gentleman asked about cycling on pavements which Sgt Burgess explained was an issue he was hot on.

Discussed children riding on bikes recklessly in Queens Walk and Mount Pleasant.  Cllr Kauffman mentioned Kings College as a good diversion for attention and hinted at plans for South Ruislip for BMX course/skateboarding and things of that ilk. “Watch this space”.

No plans to reopen the satellite police station on The Runway in South Ruislip.  But plans locally to improve visibility of police by walking in the ward. Aim to be on the ward for shifts including on late shifts up to midnight.

Brackenbridge.  Issues with kids on motorbikes.  The police have seen this as well whilst walking in parks near West End Road and Bridgewater Road in the field.  Comments that they were gathering in White Butts.

Complaint about a noisy motorbike in the area.  Details taken by the police.

3.0   RAF Northolt

Hannah OC Operations and Squadron Leader James Tenniswood, Media and communications officer.

Round up of recent occurrences.  There are two thousand people on the unit.  The looked after the spare for Marine One which was brought in by C17.  They have been involved with Exercise Griffon Strike in Cornwall, taking senior MOD and ministers there via helicopter to watch the drill.

Keeping them most busy – flights for Senior Ministers and Royal Family.  Parliament in recess so a little quieter.  But there have been a lot of short notice flights recently.

Also they site the two helicopters for London Air Ambulance.  Their flying times are limited by sunlight.

Flight safety.  Concern about local drones activity.  Need users to stick to the CAA regulations.

Lasers.  Being shone on planes are a risk to the sight of pilots.  There are hotspots for lasers use in Field End Road and Long Drive.

Wingfield Way.  Hedges cant be cut at the moment due to nesting season.  Not cut April to July.  Can do it in August and they will do.

The station was awarded Station of the Year by RAF Benevolent fund, for raising funds, £53,000 for this charity and raised £230,000 in a year for all the charities.

Questions about a quirky and noisy plane which was identified as a Piago airplane.  Belongs to Italian air staff.

Comments that there are a lot of helicopter movements at the moment.  The RAF representatives said they felt the number of movements for them was low, but there the base has a helicopter lane route over RAF Northolt.  Apart from exercises not many there really.  Just fly over head.

Maintenance on runway to take place in the next two years.  But waiting and don’t know when.  It will close for 6-9 months for fixed wing aircraft.

Comment from the floor about Project ARC meaning RAF Northolt could take up to 50,000 movements at year. 12,000 cap per year is the remit subject to ministerial approval.

Operational tempo meant that the RAF Northolt open day is a staff only event.  However in 2017 the idea is a community open day so there will be a focus on local people getting tickets rather than plane/RAF buffs.  They will advise more at the next RAF/community meeting.

4.0   Reports Treasurer

Current account £329.24 and deposit account £13,362.89 in reserve at 25th July 2016.  Outstanding £140 for a newsletter and ID tags £15.

5.0   Chief Road Steward

Thanked the Road Stewards.  Vacancies for Exmouth Road (40) Queens Walk (22) West End Road (12).  Discussed Lanyard’s.  The lanyard was the expensive part of the fit out.

Mahlon Avenue & Hardy Avenue did not receive a newsletter from Kate.  Discussed the routine of the newsletters going out.

Geoff reiterated the need for up to date list of houses and the roads.

6.0   Ward Councillor – Allan Kauffman

Rubbish Bins.  Spate of domestic waste in waste bins.

Roads to resurfaced Brackenbridge Road, Abbots close, Down Barnes, White Butts and Stafford Road.  Next challenge is the pavements.  First is Long Drive.

Green Flags – most awards in Hillingdon in the country.  Awarded to parks for amenity and trees. Very proud of Hillingdon’s Green spaces and this award.

Bridge at South Ruislip Station Approach: Looking for a proposal from officers to improve the immediate area of the bridge, passed to TFL for £350,000.  Ruislip Manor work cost £11 Million.

Complaints about weeds on Rydal Way. Sent photos to Cllr Judy Kelly.   Comment on weed sprayer on a quad bike, being done at speed so possibly ineffective.

Complaint about bridge and pigeons at Ruislip Gardens.

7.0   Lidl

Lidl will be on major planning on 24th August.  Recommended for approval. Watch for the details on the website.  One of the issues was with Benson’s for Beds delay as an island in the car park.  Plan to open by end of March next year

8.0 ARLA Site

Cited to open one week before Easter.

Shopkeepers in The Fairway complained about spaces being taken up being used for spoil. Parking spaces to be returned for customer use from Allan.

Have started the road widening.

9.0   HS2

Action Alliance against HS2.  Cost currently £55 Billion.  Spent £1 and a quarter billion with nothing to show for it.  We believe part of Europe wide high speed rail link, but this idea is broken in London anyway.  Expected downturn in the economy and so anti groups are hoping HS2 might be a casualty.

Meeting Closed.

MINUTES OF THE SOUTH RUISLIP RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION QUARTERLY MEETING HELD AT ST MARY’S CHURCH – WEDNESDAY APRIL 27TH 2016

Minutes of the South Ruislip Residents Association

Quarterly Meeting Held at St Mary’s Church On Wednesday April 27th 2016

In attendance were 65 residents and 11 committee members.  Councillors present Judy Kelly and Eddie Lavery.

Apologies were received from: Jenny Hunt and Cllr Kaufmann, PC Jack Duerden.

April 2016 SRRA Quarterly Meeting
April 2016 SRRA Quarterly Meeting

1.0   Minutes signed off and Vice Chair Sid Jackson opened the meeting.

2.0   Police.

Manor and Cavendish

Acting Sergeant Tristan Brown has recently taken on this role. His dedicated ward officers are Sarah Fordham (Manor) and Ajay Shah (Cavendish).

His 2 dedicated PCSOs are Gurbinder Sandhu and John Dickens (John is currently on a small squad delivering MetTrace kits across the Borough)

The following officers are also part of the team: Aidan Young and Nathan Francis

South Ruislip

Sergeant Karl Spour is the new sergeant. His dedicated ward officer is now James Burgess

His dedicated PCSOs are Kara Remick and Anne Marie Chapman-Bennett

The following officers are part of the his team: Allan Webster, Jack Duerden, Maz Solanki and Charlie Mitchell (joins in June)

Rabournmead Drive

Skeletal remains were found.  The police believe they have identified the person.  The person had been missing since last year.   The polices working hypothesis is that the person, sadly,  died sleeping rough.

3.0   Brian Varley from Bellway Homes

Bellway Homes are the construction company building the residential homes at the ARLA site.  Construction will be fully complete in two years time.  Sales of the first phase opened at the weekend.  They are sold out on the first release.  They are working on the site with other construction companies Simmons and Stace, who deal with the commercial side of the development.

Questions/Comment from the floor:

Site access for pedestrians.  Bellway are creating a pedestrian walkway through from Station Approach which will be at the side of the Middlesex Arms.

Traffic will be separate from the shopping side of the development giving residents their own access to the site.

Drawing showed trees on the plans, but these have all been removed.  Established trees removed in the construction phase but other trees and landscaping will be planted at the perimeter. This will be completed towards the end of the development.

Question about affordable / housing association properties and quantity and proportion of these.  163 plots in total and there are 18 shared ownership homes which will be affordable and 18 rented units to let via a housing association.  No HA yet appointed to manage these.

What of car parking at the site? Parking is one space for one flat/property.  Generally thought to be low, but meets regulations etc.

Are these properties all sold to overseas buyers?  Not really, many local buyers, property advertised locally and many sold to local people.

4.0 Report from the Chairman

ARLA Site

Sid visited the ARLA site.  Impressive.  On target for completion by end of year.  Likely to be open around Easter next year.  The Focus site entrance opposite West Mead (now Aldi / B&M) will close and entrance will be part of the overall scheme.

Lidl

First phase plans approved for the development at Victoria Road, but the larger development is still waiting points to be cleared and planning application then will go to planning committee meeting.

HS2

Seeing movement in MP’s positions from opposition to mitigate the disruption that construction will cause.  See this as a sign that work will go ahead.

5.0   Treasurer’s Report

Current account balance £1,229.88.  Reserve £12,361.33.

No questions for Colin.

6.0 Chief Road Stewards Report

Hunting for Road Stewards for The Fairway, Diamond Road, Royal Crescent.  Wingfield Way.

Simple task to visit the houses and deliver.  Collecting the money is also simple, can be completed in a way that suits you.

7.0   Secretary Report

Nothing to report

8.0 Officers Election

The following officers were returned as standing for the following year.

Name Position
Vice Chair Sid Jackson
Treasurer Colin Hook
Chief Road Steward Geoff Taylor
Secretary Jeremy Wasden

9.0   Cllr Judy Kelly & report from Cllr Alan Kauffman who submitted in Writing

SKLP

Cllr Judy Kelly petition raised from local residents on Harvey Road re the disruptive behaviour from the site.  SKLP were better neighbours in 2014, but were more disruptive later last year with a poorer response from council officers and the police to the issues raised by residents.

Keen to improve the situation again for residents.

Youth Club at South Ruislip

Conversations with councillors have been ongoing. Set up meetings about way forward.  Report update when know more.

Block of Flats opposite South Ruislip Station on Great Central Avenue

Much work especially by Cllr Kauffman.  Flats will house people in need of temporary housing.  They can house up to four people.  Owned by Hillingdon but leased to a housing association.  An open day is being arranged by the provider to view the flats for local residents.  Date tba.

Yellow Lines on Field End Road

Now painted.

Corsa’s illegally parked in Brackenhill

Cat and mouse with council officers.  Now not advertised.  Looking at parking meters.

Bridge at South Ruislip

Looking to improve Station Approach.  Written to mayor, designers worked site.  Bridge is very dark.  When it floods can’t get through.  Walls seep moisture.  Perhaps put cladding on, raise pavement by two foot and raise light levels.  Circa £353k cost to improve.

10.0 RAF Northolt

Station Commander here next meeting.

The runway is going to be resurfaced next year.  New base to the tarmac needed, very invasive work.  Therefore the runway is going to close next year for around 9 months.

Display. Question from floor about whether flying displays will be affected following crash at Shoreham. Sid felt not as displays not aerobatic.

Flybe.  Wrote wanting to fly from Northolt.  Sid said feeling was it won’t happen.  Can’t operate scheduled flights as military has priority.  Once start to have a schedule the military would lose control.  There are also restrictions on aircraft passenger numbers due to ambulance cover, fire covers etc.  Not in foreseeable future.

Part 2 SRRA Meeting. 

Tea Break SRRA Quart Meeting April 2016
Tea Break SRRA Quart Meeting April 2016

Secretary Jeremy left, and Lynne Kauffman kindly completed the minutes for the evening.

Item Discussion/requests Action
11 VC Jackson carried out a vote to verify the proposed and seconded officers of the executive.

There was an overwhelming positive vote for all all committee members carried forward.

Open invitation to any member who wishes to attend the executive meetings 9thJune, 14July.

12 Update requested on the ground between the library and the youth centre on Victoria Road. Cllr Lavery stated that it was council owned land. Cllr Kelly reported on the site history for the development of the site. Cllr Kauffman and Cllr Kelly to investigate.
Members question Question on the fly tipping opposite the dentists on Northolt Avenue. To be resolved through an Members Enquiry.
Members question Use and development of the site on Station approach that was previously a nursery. Cllr Kelly though it was to be used for a day centre. Lunch club was mentioned but there is already a lunch club held at St Mary’s church hall 3 x per week run by Good Neighbours the club includes transport and outings. Publicise the lunch club in the newsletter to attract new members.
AOB from the committee.
  • GT(Chief Road Steward) raised the issue of identification for road stewards- use of photographs was suggested by a member. GT requested support still required for deliveries.
  • LC community report – Jim O’Neill walk almost impassable because of lack of drainage- suggested use of the Chrysalis fund to improve drainage.
  • CH no points to raise.
  • Non committee member(editor of newsletter) LK promoted the open meeting on EU for all South Ruislip residents 29th April 7:30 at the Ramada Hotel.
Still required

Diamond Road

Royal Crescent

The Fairway

West End Road

Wingfield Way

 

 

To be reported by Cllr Kelly

AOB from the floor
  • Question raised ‘Are we likely to see more of Boris once the election is over.
  • Northolt Avenue fly tipping repeated
VC to invite Boris Johnson to a meeting. Cllrs mentioned BJ’s surgery on Friday evening.
VC thanked members for attending meeting closed at 9:28pm.

Date of the next meeting 27th July.

 

Police – CAVENDISH & MANOR – CRIME UPDATE – W/E 10/04/2016

From Tristan Brown of the Met….

Operation Bumblebee Poster 1 – When a stranger calls…

Operation Bumblebee Poster 2 – UPVC Security

Operation Bumblebee Poster 3 – Improving Security 

 Welcome to your weekly update.  Within these updates I will focus on local crime and the issues effecting you and the local community.  My last crime update has been very well received with some excellent feedback.  If you feel you have prevented a crime, seen some suspicious activity, and you believe other readers would benefit from knowing, please reply and it will considered for entry in to the next crime update.

 I aim to send these updates on the Monday of the following week.  However, this will be dependant on shift patterns and availability of data.

 Crime

Burglaries

05-04-16 to 06-04-16 – Overnight – East Mead, Ruislip – Suspects have attempted to gain entry to the property by damaging a rear door.  Ref 0906756/16

 05-04-16 – PM – Sacred Heart RC Junior and Infant School, Herlwyn Ave, Ruislip – Two male suspects have been seen to enter school playground and attempt to gain entry to the school via the hall doors.  Ref 0906780/16

 08-04-16 – PM – Whitby Road, Ruislip – Suspect’s have forced an upstairs window (accessed from a flat roof) and carried out an untidy search within.  Several items of property stolen. Ref 0906969/16

 26-03-16 to 10-04-16 – Bempton Drive, Ruislip – Tool marks found to front UPVC door and side window smashed.  Ref 0907085/16

 Motor vehicle crime

07-04-16 to 08-04-16 – Overnight – Warren Drive, Ruislip – Motorcycle stolen from front garden of property.  Registration FX51ONG.  Ref 0906894/16.

 06-04-16 to 07-04-16 – Overnight – Beverley Road, Ruislip – Vehicle damaged.  Large scratches along both near and offside.  Ref 0906991/16

 Theft – Person

No incidents reported.

 Robberies

No incidents reported.

 Assaults

No incidents reported.

 If you were a witness to any of the above crimes or have any information, please call 101 or make contact by either of the means below.

 Drugs

Over the last couple of weeks we have been receiving reports of suspicious activity possibly concerning drug use/supply.  Please report any incidents of this nature to us.  This information is crucial if we are to build a picture of what is happening and where.  We collate this information, look at trends and work to identify and arrest offenders.

 Crime Prevention

Burglary and its prevention and detection will remain our priority.  There are some simple steps residents can take to safeguard themselves.  These include the fitting of an alarm or dummy alarm box.  Ensuring all windows and doors are locked.  UPVC doors need to be locked with the key as well as lifting the door handle.  Use a timer to illuminate a lamp at dusk.  The list goes on and there are further suggestions in the leaflets below.

 Don’t be a victim of burglary.  Follow this advice.

 Have you been a witness to any suspicious behaviour that may be of interest to your local Police officers?  Please let us know.  All information is gratefully received.

 From our newsletter

COURIER FRAUD

Last week a North Hillingdon elderly resident was contacted by someone pretending to be from the Surrey Police. These fraudsters can seem very believable and unfortunately they were able to con the resident into withdrawing money and handing it over to a courier believing it was being taken to the police.

Police, banks or other agencies or companies will not ring up and ask you to withdraw money ever. Do not withdraw money and hand it over to a courier because someone claiming to be in authority has told you to. Don’t ring any numbers given to you by the fraudsters and if they tell you to hang up and ring 101 to check, don’t as this is also a scam – they leave the line open and simply pretend to be the police. Hang up and ring someone you know first so you know they are off the line. Then ring 101 and report to us immediately.

THEFT FROM TRANSIT VANS

Our neighbouring police forces are seeing an increase in theft of tools from Ford Transit vans. The vans are being opened with devises that apparently over-ride the locking mechanism – no key needed and they don’t have to force entry. Sadly, in this day and age of modern technology, it seems there is always a devise available to bypass keyless entry. Our advice is to empty your van over night. Whilst this is not always practicable, a solid lock across all doors is also recommended. Whilst many van owners put them on the back doors, the other entry points are often overlooked.

As keyless entry becomes more widespread, our advice for all vehicle owners is to consider using a good old fashioned steering wheel lock.

FAKE £50 NOTES

Shop owners – please be aware that a number of fake £50 notes are doing the rounds. Please be very cautious of anyone trying to break a large note or asking for change from it. Those trying to offload these notes often target small businesses with single members of staff. Please ask your employees to be vigilant and if they are concerned, call police straight away.

  Do you own a dog?

From Wednesday the 6th of April, it is now law that all dogs must be registered and micro chipped by the time they are eight weeks old.  This falls under the Animal Welfare Act 2006.  Dog owners are also required to keep their contact details up to date.

 If local authorities discover a dog without a microchip, owners will have 21 days in which to have one fitted or face a fine of up to £500.

 For further information, have a look at www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/microchipping/

 Latest scam email

Have you received an email from an unknown source requesting payment for an outstanding invoice?  Does the sender know your address?  You are likely to have received the latest scam email.

Earlier in the week we were contacted by a concerned resident who had received such an email.  They all follow a similar format:

 ———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Dear **** *****,

Regarding the amount due 1635.14 GBP, we act on behalf of Particle Technology Ltd in order to collect the outstanding account value of your debt.

We would like to remind you that the amount above was due for payment on 31.03.16 but as no payment has been received, your invoice is now considered as overdue. Please find a printable version of your invoice at the following link:
[http://*/basso*pb.co*m/in*dex.p*hp?ygoq=*648ef2eja*******]http:/*/basso*pb.co*m/in*dex.p*hp?ygoq=*648ef2eja*******

Original invoice will be sent out to:
**** *****
*, ******* ***********
Ruislip, Middlesex HA4 ***

In order to avoid further costs, please forward the payment to us and transfer the amount due not later than 12.04.16

Best regards,
Willie Ferguson

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

People are falling victim to this scam.  Don’t be fooled by the fact your name and address are known.  Clicking on the link (which I have disabled in the above message) will install a virus on to your computer.  This virus then encrypts victims’ files and demands a ransom be paid before they can be unlocked.

 Neighbourhood Watch

Are you interested in setting up a neighbourhood watch scheme for your road?  Get in touch and we will be pleased to help you.

 Ruislip Manor SNT       0208 721 2549            Email: manorward.snt@met.police.uk

 Cavendish SNT    0208 721 2550            Email:  cavendish.snt@met.police.uk

 Follow Hillingdon Police on Twitter @MPSHillingdon

Follow Insp Bryan on Twitter @MPSHillingNorth

Weekly Crime Update: Cavendish Ward

From the Cavendish SNT is this very local update.  Look forward to one for the South Ruislip ward;

Dear Readers,

Welcome to your weekly update.  Within these updates I will focus on local crime and the issues effecting you and the local community.  My last crime update has been very well received with some excellent feedback.  If you feel you have prevented a crime, seen some suspicious activity, and you believe other readers would benefit from knowing, please reply and it will considered for entry in to the next crime update.

I aim to send these updates on the Monday of the following week.  However, this will be dependant on shift patterns and availability of data.

Crime

Burglaries

17-03-2016 to 20-03-2016 – Field End Road, Ruislip – Suspects have kicked the rear door off the hinges and entered the property. No items stolen. Ref 0905611/16.

21-03-2016 – PM – Bideford Road, Ruislip – Suspects have entered property via a rear door.  Jewellery and cash stolen.  Ref 0905739/16.

21-03-2016 – PM – Oak Grove, Ruislip – Suspects have forced entry via a rear door.  No items stolen.  Ref 0905740/16.

21-03-2016 – PM – Seaton Gardens, Ruislip – Suspects have gained entry by smashing a rear patio door and forcing a kitchen window.  Witness has seen four IC1 males leave the venue and drive away in a black saloon vehicle.

Motor vehicle crime

22-03-2016 – Overnight – Ashburton Road, Ruislip – Suspects have entered vehicle by an unknown method and damaged ignition barrel. (See crime prevention below) Vehicle not stolen.  Ref 0905818/16.

24-03-2016 – Overnight – Windmill Way, Ruislip – Suspects have stolen a Silver Honda CBF-4 motorcycle with registration FX05YXN.  Ref 0905995/16.

25-03-2016 – PM – Denbigh Close, Ruislip – Number plates stolen from vehicle. Ref 0906058/16.

Theft – Person

No incidents reported.

Robberies

No incidents reported.

Assaults

No incidents reported.

If you were a witness to any of the above crimes or have any information, please call 101 or make contact by either of the means below.

Crime Prevention

Motor vehicle crime

Over the last few months there has been an increase in the number of ‘theft from’ and ‘theft of’ motor vehicles.  Many of these crimes have been reported where there has been no sign of forced entry to the vehicle or the vehicle has been stolen with the lawful owner still in possession of the keys.  I have made contact with PC Pick of Thames Valley Police who has been in contact with an expert at the vehicle testing centre in Thatcham.  He has offered the following information;

There are currently two main locking systems for vehicles.  These are key fob and keyless entry.  Both can leave your vehicle vulnerable to crime if certain precautions are not taken.

Key Fob entry

The system works by sending random combinations of code to the vehicle each time the fob is pressed.  Therefore, thieves copying the code is useless so they have come up with another way to prevent you from locking your vehicle.

Thieves are overcoming this by jamming the signal from your key fob to your vehicle by using a number of different devices.  These devices can be purchased from as little as £2 from the internet and come in many forms such as garage door openers and house light controllers/dimmers.  Many of these devices act to block your key fobs when you attempt to lock your vehicle.

Thieves are able to block signals in whole areas such as car parks or streets by hiding these devices in bushes with a clothes peg activating the device for long periods of time and without the need for them to be in the vicinity.

There is a solution.  Once you have activated your key fob, YOU MUST ensure the lights have flashed indicating the car has received the signal, and then check the vehicle is locked by lifting a door handle.

Keyless Car entry

The signal for a vehicle with keyless entry cannot be jammed so thieves will simply smash a window to steal your property.

The signal used for vehicles with this form of security system is unchanging and broadcasts continuously between the fob and the vehicle.  IT CAN BE COPIED. 

Fobs made by different manufacturers use different ranges and the signal can vary in terms of strength and useable distance.  This is the distance between the vehicle and the range in which the vehicle will be unlocked.  This can be up to 30 feet from the vehicle.  For many people this could be less than the distance between your vehicle and where you leave your keys once inside your home.  YOUR VEHICLE MIGHT NOT BE LOCKED.  Alternatively, if your fob is transmitting continuously, the distance between where the device is in your home and the pavement, driveway etc. may be sufficient for a potential thief to copy the signal.  Once copied the thief can not only enter your car but also steal it or any property within it.

The advice from Thatcham is as follows;

If you have a vehicle with a keyless entry system, keep the key in a ‘Faraday Cage’ where the signal cannot escape.  This is the same advice as given to us in relation to tap credit and debit cards.  You can now purchase small metal credit card cases at an affordable price.  You can then remove the plastic card holders and keep your key fob in there.  Search for RFID blocking case/wallet.

DO NOT leave anything on display that a thief may find attractive.  This includes any electronic/valuable items such as phones and sat navs, but also be aware of other items such as bags, child seats and clothing.

Have you been a witness to any suspicious behaviour that may be of interest to your local Police officers?  Please let us know.  All information is gratefully received.

Neighbourhood Watch

Are you interested in setting up a neighbourhood watch scheme for your road?  Get in touch and we will be pleased to help you.

  Ruislip Manor SNT       0208 721 2549            Email: manorward.snt@met.police.uk

 Cavendish SNT    0208 721 2550            Email:  cavendish.snt@met.police.uk

 Follow Hillingdon Police on Twitter @MPSHillingdon

Follow Insp Bryan on Twitter @MPSHillingNorth

 http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/  The UK’s national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre.

APS Tristan Brown | Team 3 North SNT  | Hillingdon Borough

MetPhone 741801 | Telephone 020 8246 1801

Address Ruislip Police Station, 5 The Oaks, Ruislip, HA4 7LE

NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED

Follow Insp Bryan on Twitter @MPSHillingNorth

Follow Hillingdon Police on Twitter @MPSHillingdon

Looking for crime prevention advice? Fill in this short survey to register: http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/45444OIIID/

Unsolicited calls – Unwanted Pressure to Sell a Property Locally

I have been made aware that an elderly neighbour, who lives alone, received an unsolicited telephone call from a lady purporting to be from a well know local estate agent in Ruislip Manor.

 The caller tried to suggest that it was in my elderly neighbours best interests to sell her house. My neighbour stated that she had no intention of selling her house and the caller apparently did not take no for an answer and said that she would call back in a month and pop around to have a cup of tea and discuss the matter further.

 My neighbour was understandably upset by this episode and I have asked her to call 999 should the lady caller turn up at her home.

 I have reassured my neighbour that she did the right thing by refusing to be drawn into this situation. I have informed the estate agent that it appears that someone has used their name and have made the Police Safer neighbourhood team aware of this incident.

 Perhaps members of SRRA could make their neighbours aware of this please, just in case this is not a one off incident.

 Regards

 Steve Graham,  Committee Member SRRA